Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alternative to the BSR?? >

Alternative to the BSR??

Alternative to the BSR??

Old 10-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
I would love to have the HQ 16 sit down model. Really if you practice a lot, you will find the BSR more of a hindrance than a help! Or at least I did! I tend to move too fast for the sensors!
i have to agree with this statement, i sold bernina for 6 years and i prefer to go without a stitch regulator when sitting and quilting - i just have better results this way compared to the BSR.

i do like stitch regulation on a frame though - i don't always use it but its really nice to have.

pfaff has something similar, but different, i haven't tried it so i can't say if its great or not.

here's a link, and just like the BSR you'd need to buy a machine to go with it.

http://www.sunsewvac.com/documents/Fabumotion.pdf
Old 10-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I have a dear friend that 'had to have' the BSR Bernina, ended up not liking it at all....I use my simple Bernina 840 for all my free motion...and am very happy....recently got a Flynn frame and for the large pieces I do I am very happy. May I suggest you make something small, a banner, wall quilt, table runner....and then try FMQ on it with your standard machine, just drop your feedogs....and away you go....it is a eye/hand/foot issue...so it will take some time, just do some simple stippleing.....I have found that you want the machine to go pretty fast and your hand medium to medium slow.....may I also suggest to go to the John Flynn website www.flynnquilt.com and watch him with his frame....just because you can afford a new machine does not mean you need a new machine....If I had the space and money I would consider a long arm machine....but I would have to think about 'how much will I really use it' as compared to even renting time on a machine at a quilt shop.
Just my two cents for the day
Love my Flynn frame system. Made such a bigger difference than the BSR
ditto to this too.

my first frame was the Flynn with my DSM and i did up to a king size quilt on it and had great results.

the flynn was an inexpensive way to determine if i liked frame quilting.

then i upgraded to a king size frame and an 18 inch throat.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:00 PM

I read this with interest...I have a janome 6600 and Pfaff and have been FMQ for a few months...so very much a novice although do Calligraphy so think it might help a bit....had terrible issues with tension on the 6600 and some kind person suggested leaving the feed dogs up and stitch size at around three , suggesting this would sort out the tension problem and increase stitch regulation.
All I can say is I am amazed at the transformation in the quality of stitches....really regular, no skipping or eyelashes. I tend to set the speed between middle and top and use the start button so no foot pedal....as I've said amazing!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:23 PM

I'm a beginner at FMQ, and I do MUCH better with the BSR. At some point, there was an upgrade to defective spring, so maybe some that accounts for some of the folks who didn't care for it.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:15 AM

I have a dear friend that 'had to have' the BSR Bernina, ended up not liking it at all....I use my simple Bernina 840 for all my free motion...and am very happy....recently got a Flynn frame and for the large pieces I do I am very happy. May I suggest you make something small, a banner, wall quilt, table runner....and then try FMQ on it with your standard machine, just drop your feedogs....and away you go....it is a eye/hand/foot issue...so it will take some time, just do some simple stippleing.....I have found that you want the machine to go pretty fast and your hand medium to medium slow.....may I also suggest to go to the John Flynn website www.flynnquilt.com and watch him with his frame....just because you can afford a new machine does not mean you need a new machine....If I had the space and money I would consider a long arm machine....but I would have to think about 'how much will I really use it' as compared to even renting time on a machine at a quilt shop.
My experience is that when people have trouble with the BSR it's operator error. If you believe you can wave fabric under a BSR and it will come out perfectly you will be disappointed. If you practice with it just a bit, after being shown by someone who understands the product, you can produce fantastic results! As with everything education and competent dealer support is everything.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:01 AM

I have a Flynn frame sitting in the closet, it is nothing like a long arm.
The Berninas cost as much as a long arm so that was out.
After wasting money on trying to find the right method finally just bought a table and set it up with a cheap strait stitch machine and a stitch regulator. Love it.
The only draw back is the very small throat space for quilting.
Someday hope to find a long arm machine that I can afford.
At least I will already have the table.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by OCQuilts
My experience is that when people have trouble with the BSR it's operator error. If you believe you can wave fabric under a BSR and it will come out perfectly you will be disappointed. If you practice with it just a bit, after being shown by someone who understands the product, you can produce fantastic results! As with everything education and competent dealer support is everything.
Unfortunatly in todays world a good competent dealer is few and far between. I have to travel over a hundred miles for a middle of the road dealer....