Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets?

Blog Entries
    I love the idea of making quilts for returning vets.

But all of the ones I've seen have a patriotic theme. And in fact, it seems like the organizations that coordinate quilt donations to vets require such themes that usually include red, white and blue and stars.

I can't help but wonder if there are some returning vets who would prefer NOT to be reminded of their time over there, and would appreciate something entirely different.

What have you made for a returning vet that is of a non-patriotic theme? And can anyone recommend a quilt-donation-coordinating organization that doesn't require a particular theme?

Blog Entries
    Most of the organizations do indeed require that the colors be mostly patriotic themed. I think that's the point of the Quilts of Valor and others that are similar.

Blog Entries
    Janice, Yes, it was Quilts of Valor that I was thinking of. I was all set to make a quilt to donate, but ran into this question of-- what about some other theme?

Blog Entries
    Well this is interesting..I wanted to make my son a quilt when he returned from Afghanistan. He asked specifically not to make anything red, white and blue or with ARMY on it. I just made a quilt that I would have made for anyone else and he loved it.

Blog Entries
    Do you have a photo of it, Lisa?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    Janice, Yes, it was Quilts of Valor that I was thinking of. I was all set to make a quilt to donate, but ran into this question of-- what about some other theme?
    Unless things have changed recently, they would like the majority of quilts that are red, white, and blue--but there are are a certain amount of servicemen and women who would like other colors.

Blog Entries
    I made a bunch of quilts NOT red,white,and blue!!! I took them all to the VA hospital. They gave them to new returning vets. The families and vets loved them and many cried thinking theyd been forgotten!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    I love the idea of making quilts for returning vets.

But all of the ones I've seen have a patriotic theme. And in fact, it seems like the organizations that coordinate quilt donations to vets require such themes that usually include red, white and blue and stars.

I can't help but wonder if there are some returning vets who would prefer NOT to be reminded of their time over there, and would appreciate something entirely different.

What have you made for a returning vet that is of a non-patriotic theme? And can anyone recommend a quilt-donation-coordinating organization that doesn't require a particular theme?
    our guild makes quilts in all colors for the wounded warriors, some don't want red,white and blue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs
    I made a bunch of quilts NOT red,white,and blue!!! I took them all to the VA hospital. They gave them to new returning vets. The families and vets loved them and many cried thinking theyd been forgotten!!
    And this is awesome, becuase you can make up your own rules! Not everyone wants to make them like QOV requires.

We have made both. Some patriotic and some just regular fabrics, non red, white and blue. We need to make quick quilts so turning 20, rail fence anything fast. Wounded warriors do like both but most of the time they choose red, white and blue, others are the last to go. We get to take the lap quilts to the wounded warrior at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Tx. Our group enjoys meeting these young people and hearing their stories and getting hugs, the best part.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast