Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alto's Quilt Cut 2 versus specialty rulers >

Alto's Quilt Cut 2 versus specialty rulers

Alto's Quilt Cut 2 versus specialty rulers

Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 PM

I would suggest that you also give Craig's list and Ebay a search for an Alto cutting system. I got mine and one for my mother (after she saw mine she wanted one) for the same price as buying a single new one. Both systems were in wonderful condition. My mother's came with a vhs tape (think her's was the Alto 1). Mine didnt come with a video, however mine was basically new, the previous owner had opened the box and that was it.

I have only gotten to use the system a couple of times so far but after repositioning the cutting mat (it was off just a smidge), it made cutting strips much easier. I am excited to get some time in the future and really give it a go with angles and such.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:01 AM

Now that I've read all the post I'll chime in. I have seen the demo at the quilt show for the Alto cut; I really like it alot and could see how it would be great right along side my Accuquilt Go. Don't have the money yet so I'll wait until next years show.
As far as the HST go don't let the 7/8 bother you. Add an inch and then square it up to the size you want. I think especially in the beginning when you are learning how to do them it's the best method. There are a few different methods to making them. I like the one where you take two squares, put them right sides together and sew down the middle and then I square it up to the size I need. You waste very little fabric this way and it's worth it because sometimes no matter how hard you try they come out to small. There is also triangle paper you can buy and some can be downloaded from the net for free. I have two software CDs to make my own.
As far as squaring up, if you are talking about HST; you can use any ruler to do that. To square up a block you can use any ruler slightly larger than your block. Find the center of your block on all sides and then trim what is sticking out from under the ruler. There are alot of great rulers out there but some are designed to do only one thing and I'd rather spend my money on things that can do more than one if possible; unless it really does make my life easier by alot. I'd look at the size of block you are thinking about making and then get a ruler larger than that at least by a few inches. I really like the ones that have the 1/8 marks on them as well; not all do.
The Accucut Go isn't just for appliqueing. They have dies for everything. In the beginning what might do you well is the strip dies; you cut the strips of fabric and then you can cut them into triangles, blocks ect.
I know, there is so much to think about and so many options out there it can be over whelming. Just take your time and try to research things to see if you think it'll benefit your needs. Normally if you search on the web you'll find a site where people have written their reviews on different things. Fons and Porter also have lots of rulers and if you go to their website you can get all kinds of infor on rulers, etc. Good luck
Old 06-05-2012, 06:15 AM

Thank you everyone for your input! It has helped to focus me a bit more. There are so many tools out there, so many different methods, it can get overwhelming!!

twoxover - would love to hear how you like your Quilt Cut 2 when it arrives in a week!

NJQuilter - I think I am fairly accurate with my cutting and also with my 1/4 inch (would say more accurate in cutting - could work on getting a scant 1/4 inch - but I can generally sew straight, glad I am not fighting that). But - other than using my shape cut - I really don't like cutting using my long ruler (think it is 6 x 24). I don't like lining up the edges of my fabric on a line on my cutting mat (and then lining up my long ruler to lines on the top and bottom of the cutting mat). I would say my accuracy goes down at that point. But in somewhere else on this board (or somewhere) I read about using a short stack of post it notes to mark the edge of where a cut is on a ruler, so am thinking doing the same on a cutting mat would help with that problem.

pinkberrykay - I remember when you found your Quilt Cut. It was from the Sew for Less yahoo group. I am keeping my eye out on that site. I have already decided that if I get one, I would like the Quilt Cut 2. When I have funds together, I might just post an "ISO" message on that group.

ZugZug - I actually saved a search on Ebay yesterday for a Quilt Cut 2. Also looked on Craig's list. Nothing there right now, but am going to keep my eyes open.

Romanjog - thank you for the information on HST's. If I understand correctly, if I want my square to be 4 inches, then I add an inch (making it 5 inches). I wasn't even sure where the 7/8 inch came in (with quarter- or half-square triangles) - I just know it has to do with one of them. I was also reading yesterday where several have said they don't worry about the 7/8ths -they just round up to 1, then trim down. I do have a couple of different square rulers. I have squared up my squares on only one quilt so far, which made it so much nicer when I put together my rows. Was a little confused on the proper way to square, since I was at least cognizant at that point that I didn't want to lop off the extra from just one side and thus the symmetry of the block off.

I believe I would find the Alto's Quilt Cut system versatile and useable. I would plan on setting up a space so that it will always be set up. After more thought, it think I would like having this one system more than having additional rulers. I like how multiple shapes can be cut at once and believe I would find it versatile. I am going to keep my eyes open for a used one. While doing that, I think I will just set a certain amount of $$ aside each week for this purchase. I will re-post when I get one!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:29 AM

I have not invested in and used specialty rulers because I have trouble holding them still and getting straight cuts, I confess. I have the Altos system and I love it. I've made great progress in my quilting because of it.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM

I am going to consider the Altos system for the near future. I videos on line helped me understand how to use it.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 AM

I've had my QuiltCut2 for a couple of weeks and so far, I love it. I also got mine from the Sew Its For Sale Yahoo Group. I posted an ISO message on that group and had at least 6 replies within a day. I went with the person who offered me a great price plus agreed to split the shipping cost with me (that's a big issue, because it cost around $60 to ship; it's heavy). I wouldn't even bother with eBay; the prices seem to be inflated, with most people wanting the same price as it is to buy a new one from the manufacturer!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:43 AM

I agree, I have the Altos on a watch with Ebay and it notifies me when one is posted for sale. The prices are outrageous. My seller happened to own a business and I was able to get shipping via FED EX 2 day for $25.00. Definitely do an ISO, i think that is what I did and I had several offers. Make sure you are getting the Altos Quiltcut 2 and not a One. I had to ask everyone that replied if it was the AQC2 and not all were.

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
I've had my QuiltCut2 for a couple of weeks and so far, I love it. I also got mine from the Sew Its For Sale Yahoo Group. I posted an ISO message on that group and had at least 6 replies within a day. I went with the person who offered me a great price plus agreed to split the shipping cost with me (that's a big issue, because it cost around $60 to ship; it's heavy). I wouldn't even bother with eBay; the prices seem to be inflated, with most people wanting the same price as it is to buy a new one from the manufacturer!