Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What specialty rulers do you use?

What specialty rulers do you use?

What specialty rulers do you use and how do you use them? I only use ďordinaryĒ square and rectangular ones, and I donít want to have a huge collection of specialty rulers, but I do sometimes wonder if Iím missing something useful. Please post about which specialty rulers you use the most and what you use them for. Is it for a particular type of quilt, or is it for a particular thing (like making HSTs). Bonus if you post a picture of the ruler.

I donít make enough quilts to make too many of the same design more than once, but Iíd still be interested in ones where they save so much time even if youíre only going to make it once itís worthwhile.

I've bought most of my rulers in the course of doing Bonnie Hunter's yearly winter mystery quilt.

Easy Angle ruler - I use these for HSTs larger than 2 1/2" finished (smaller than that I use the free templates at Quilting and Whatnot), which I find much faster than drawing the lines

Companion Angle ruler - this is what I use to make QSTs

Deb Tucker's V Block ruler - I bought this because I did not get accurate results with the Tri-Recs tool

Deb Tucker's Wing Clipper - this makes 4-at-a-time trim down flying geese, I did not get accurate geese with the Easy Angle/Companion angle

The Simple Folded Corner ruler - this I use for fast snowballing

Creative Grids 60 degree triangle ruler - this makes cutting equilateral triangles quick and easy
    Lisa

I buy the specialty ruler I don't have when a pattern recommends it. I keep the ruler with the pattern. The cost of the ruler is part of the pattern and project to me. I use the Block Lock rulers, and 10" square from MSQC a lot. I have every size square ruler up to 22". I don't use them much but when I do need them they are worth every dollar. Most of my cutting is done with my Go though. I have never found a ruler that cost more then a meal out and a movie.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    The most useful specialty ruler I have is my 60* triangle ruler. I use it for OBW and I also used it in my Boxes of Strings scrappy I am working on. I could have bought the recommended Boxes Of Strings triangle ruler but I used what I had. I also use a little 1/2 inch ruler I got at the thrift store for .50 cents. It is real handy for marking the sewing lines on a 2 squares for 2 half square triangles. Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 819
Size:  302.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    I've bought most of my rulers in the course of doing Bonnie Hunter's yearly winter mystery quilt.

Easy Angle ruler - I use these for HSTs larger than 2 1/2" finished (smaller than that I use the free templates at Quilting and Whatnot), which I find much faster than drawing the lines

Companion Angle ruler - this is what I use to make QSTs
    these two the most, brilliant that if you want 2" half square triangles you cut 2" strips. the ruler adds the seam allowance, and there isn't any waste. No 7/8 folderol and then recut to get correct size.

I use the flying geese templates from Eleanor Burns. It comes in different sizes and always is a very precise FG block. Love her rulers.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use the Easy Angle and Companion rulers to make my HSTs and Flying Geese now. I have to do no (or very little) squaring as a second operation. The Angle ruler for Dresdent Plates has come into play lately. One I plan to use is the Easy Pineapple ruler. It looks intriguing and I had to have it.

My June Taylor strip ruler. I bought another because I am wearing out the older one. Been cutting strips and squares. works great for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

The best ruler I have purchased so far is the Stripology Squared ruler.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    My splurge stripology ruler, the easy angle and companion angle, the tric recs, the folded corner ruler (love that thing, only way my snowballed corners look decent). My second splurge is a set of double wedding ring templates that make having those arcs smooth ever so much easier.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    I also have the Easy Angle ruler and have done two of Bonnie’s mysteries. I have a set of Bloc Lock rulers that I use quite often and a two Creative Grid specialty rulers that I have not taken the plastic off yet. I think one is a log cabin and Snails Trail.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I have all kinds of specialty rulers from mini's for mini quilts, table runners,hot pads, coasters etc.to stripology rulers for cutting larger strips.....the one I don't have is the 60 degree triangle. How did I miss that one??

My wife and I are gadget junkies (suckers) and have purchased rulers/tools for many techniques just because they looked interesting. We have nearly all of Deb Tucker's tools and have used them all except Hunter's Star. We get the perfect units she promises with her tools every time. Hands down the Deb Tucker tools are my favorites.

We also love Gyleen Fitzgerald's Pineapple tool. We have made several blocks with it and have a ton of our scraps cut into 1.5" strips just waiting for their turn to be made into a quilt.

I recently used Julie Herman's Sidekick tool to make a diamond quilt. It just lacks the binding so I hope to post it soon. It isn't perfect, but overall I'm happy with the result. I'd like to try the tool with one of her patterns to see if I get better results. We have her Night Sky pattern so I hope to try that soon.

I have used the Creative Grids strip cutter ruler at a demo and found I didn't like it. I must be an oddball because I see so many of you love yours, along with the June Taylor fans. If I ever see another demo I'll have to try again.

Blog Entries
    My favorite is the Creative Grids Pineapple Block rulers. My most used rulers are my 2 1/2 inch strip ruler and Stripology ruler. I also have several Marti Michel templates that I use quite often .

Power Poster
    I like the 4 x 8 inch Omnigrid ruler with the 1/8 inch grid for cutting small pieces.

https://www.omnigrid.com/quilting-se...d-rulers/r48g/

Oh I forgot one of my most needed when needed is the Creative Grids 7/8 ruler. All the markings are in 7/8! It starts at 7/8" and goes to 1 7/8", 2 7/8, 3 7/8 etc.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have several specialty rulers, but the one I use the most is the Add-A-Quarter ruler for paper piecing. So much easier than a regular ruler.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    My June Taylor strip ruler. I bought another because I am wearing out the older one. Been cutting strips and squares. works great for me.
    Yes, this is the one ruler I use all the time. I love it because it makes cutting so fast and easy for me. The other ruler I love is the one I use for squaring up HSTs. It is also J. Taylor. I love my 60* triangle ruler for kaleidoscopes, and my Slide-locks for helping me be stronger in using the other rulers.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Another vote for the Creative Grids pineapple tool/ruler!

Blog Entries
    I use "Fit to be Geese" a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I used the June Taylor strip ruler till I wore it out and had to buy another one. Now I also have the Creative Grids strip ruler and I love it. Hope it last as long as my June Taylor.

Blog Entries
    june taylor strip ruler! Being visually impaired it sure makes quilting easier and stress free!!

Blog Entries
    The ruler I use most is a Creative Grids 2 1/2" x 6 1/2". It is a promo ruler available only at Quilt Shops.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    The ruler I use most is a Creative Grids 2 1/2" x 6 1/2". It is a promo ruler available only at Quilt Shops.
    I have a lot of those! Seems every online shop was sending one out with a min. purchase from them.