Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I good enough? >

Am I good enough?

Am I good enough?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:12 PM

I don't think I would ever make quilts for money! I've sewed all my life, and I'm not bad, but I don't want to turn what is a hobby into a money-making venture! LOL! Just my humble opinion! Besides, I don't know when I' have the time -- I'm still working full time!.

Jeanette
Old 06-20-2014, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I would show her some of your quilts and ask her if these types/styles/quality is what she is looking for. Then explain the time involved, and what you would charge her (wide estimate is OK, just to see if she faints...). If she is still interested, then go for it if you are comfortable with the stress of making a quilt for compensation, not love.
I agree with this. People don't have any idea how much quilting materials cost, even before you add anything for labour. A friend said she wanted to commission a quilt from me, but when I told her how much the fabric was likely to cost, things went very quiet!
If you show her some examples of your work and point out any shortcomings, she knows the score. A friend of mine asked if she could buy one of my quilts recently. It wasn't too bad, but the "sins" included a patch where the backing hadn't quite covered the batting, so it was far from perfect. When I pointed this out, she said it added to the home-made charm!!! (I hadn't planned to sell the quilt, so let her have it for a price that probably just about covered the cost of the thread).
If it would stress you to make something for someone else and to a deadline, say no. You don't want to ruin your enjoyment of quilting.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:22 AM

I would say thanks but no thanks!!! People are not prepared to pay for your time!! They see something in a shop/market/magazine then decide they know someone who will make it cheaper!!!! She might want you to work in fabrics/colours you don't like which is added stress! Just explain you sew for your own enjoyment and pleasure not for profit!! If you are asking us what we feel you obviously have doubts so go with your gut instinct and say NO!!!!
Old 06-20-2014, 12:50 AM

If they have seen your work, and are still asking, I would take that as a sign that they are comfortable paying for your work. There are alot of opinions on selling or not selling our quilts, and I think this is something we all have to decide for ourselves.

I do take custom orders, and I am happy with the price that I get for them. Could I charge more ? Sure I could, but then no one would be able to afford it. I have also been paid MORE than what I was asking because when the final product was delivered they felt guilty that I only charge them what I did.

My personal opinion is this. What would I be doing if I was not making a quilt for a client ? I would be working on a quilt anyway ! I love quilting. I love every part of it. I am one of those people that starts working on the next quilt within hours of finishing the previous one. I am also disabled, which means I have alot of time on my hands, and well, quilting keeps me from getting into trouble LOL. So my thoughts are, why not get PAID for doing something I would be doing ANYWAY!
Old 06-20-2014, 03:27 AM

I've had a number of people ask me the same thing and I always say 'no, sorry - have too many projects going on, and I don't do that.' In my case, it would ruin what I do for enjoyment. People don't have any idea of what things cost, much less paying for your time in doing it. They see a quilt in a discount store priced at less than $100 (made overseas of cheap materials) and think that you can make it for less. What I make I give away -- that way I enjoy the process, and the other person enjoys the gift. Since what I make nowadays is scrappy (using scraps from 40 years of quilting), it only costs me the batting, thread and occasionally, a fat quarter or two of fabrics that 'fit' that person's interests. I am continually looking for old blankets, short fleece, sheets, etc, at yard sales & Goodwill, so the batting is often very inexpensive, too. Not long ago I used a mattress pad from the guest bed (after bleaching and washing it, of course!) for batting -- that made a really nice thicker quilt that is nice & heavy for winter.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
Show her one of your completed projects so she knows what your work looks like and go from there. Yes, it is a compliment for someone to want you to do something. Now - paying you for your time is often a different story!
It is a slippery slope. Most people who are NOT quilters do not understand how much time it takes to piece something. Think of how long it takes you to make a quilt for charity and keep track of your time. Think of how much fabric you will need for a project. Then you have to figure out what your time is worth. I would always pass on any saving as far as thread and fabric to my customers. It is NOT easy trying to please someone else's taste that might not be yours. I find it more enjoyable making quilts for charity then trying to please some customers I had. Good Luck and tread slowly and carefully.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:43 AM

I wouldn't do it. If I'm spending my time doing something for somebody else I don't get to do my own stuff. Plus people rarely want to pay what a quilt is actually worth in time and materials. They're still of the mindset that "homemade is cheaper than store bought." Which was true before every thing came from foreign countries. When you can buy a "bed in a bag" for less than $100 and even the "fancy" store bought quilts are less than $100 people generally aren't willing to pay $1200 and up for a quilt. Even a nicely done lap size quilt will appraise at that much.

Just smile and thank her for thinking of you and tell her your time is more valuable to you than what she's willing to pay for it.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:21 AM

Thank you for all of your thoughts. I love the experience this board has!! She told me it will be a month or so before she can get with me to plan anything. So I went ahead and gave her some prices on a Facebook message... if a month goes by and I don't hear from her that settles that. If I do hear back then I guess I will show her some of what I have done and explain that I am not perfect.. I won't give it another thought until I hear from her again. And just to let you know.. we work together, but in different departments. .. so we are not very close. She is more friends with my brother in law....who I made memory quilts for.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I would say that if she wants you to make them, she is already impressed with your ability. Relax and get sewing. She will love them. It isn't as though you are about to open a shop.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:39 AM

I've done a few quilts for other people who have seen my work in the flesh and Most times I've made sure the price has covered the cost of the fabrics. UK fabric prices are crazy so I really make it very clear to people that a quilt is not cheap. So far I've only had one person stepped back from the brink but I don't mind that at all, better that than being left with a quilt you have no need of especially if its personalised.