Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I "less than"? >

Am I "less than"?

Am I "less than"?

Old 05-13-2016, 02:03 AM

I guess that I am " less than" because I have ZERO desire to learn how to long arm. I hate to even play around with free motion on my machine. I am a piecer. I "quilt" by Check. No one has ever judged me for the the activities that I enjoy. The quilt police are irrelevant in my life. All of my quilts get pantos. Who has influenced your post? Enjoy your craft and get on with it. Hugs!

Sandy
Old 05-13-2016, 02:25 AM

Earlier this spring Fons & Porter had a guest longarm teacher give a great lesson and explanations on various methods including pantograph quilting. She explained it better than I'll be able to, but here goes: When people think less of a quilt w/pantograph quilting, they are simply uninformed on the skill and creativity of the person doing it. She showed how she reads the quilt for just the right design and could customize an all over design by taking cues from the pattern in the fabric, shapes of the quilt blocks, etc. I think she was able to store her custom made panto. design in the computer and then apply it to the whole quilt. The knowledge and skill behind it was excellent. Sorry that I can't recall her name.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:07 AM

This is your business, this is your specialty. If they want a different product, cheerfully refer them to a custom quilting shop. (maybe that shop will cheerfully refer pantograming to your business.) Be Proud, Be Focused, Be the best pantogramer in the world.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

There must be something about the quilting that the QOV group turned you down. I would ask what exactly is the reason your donation of free quilting was turned down. If it is snobbery then forget that group.

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-13-2016 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:03 AM

Please enjoy your long arm machine at whatever level you feel comfortable. We often see quilt pictures on the board that employ pantographs and are beautiful and we all comment on their design. There are so many designs to choose from. I like them very much. I am taking lessons to learn to use a long arm and certainly will employ them. I do most of my quilting on DSM and use stencil designs because they are lovely-I am not artistic with a pencil so I am not artistic with a sewing machine needle either. I admire you for using your machine to do work for charity and you should not be criticized for what you do. Keep on doing it your way!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

You are generously giving your time and machine to finish quilts that will bring joy to a recipient. I have heard other stories of QOV chapters bring less then gracious. Do not let them steal your joy!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:06 AM

I have been on a "get it finished" kick since I retired. Everyone of my quilts has a Panto design except my son's wedding quilt. I love those designs and they are exactly what my quilts needed. I do a lot of family quilts which get lots of use, QOV quilts and Community Quilts. None of these need custom quilting. There is nothing wrong about quilting with pantographs. Do what suits you, your abilities and your time. Quilt on!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:28 AM

Way back when, you were considered "less than a quilter" if you machine pieced and quilted instead of hand sewing. Times have changed, quilting has changed with it. Bless you for your charity work and if anyone doesn't like it smile and consider the fact that they haven't evolved with the rest of the quilting world.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

You can't let other people put you down. Remember the Sticks and Stones saying?? I quilted professionally for almost 10 year and I didn't learn to stipple until more than half way thru my professional career. I still don't care for the look of a quilt with small or large stippling but that is just my opinion and I'll keep it to myself. I want to do the best that I can do for a quilt, even if it is going for a charitable cause.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

I have the same machine but do free motion quilting. I have never quilted for QofV but have signed up to do so. I never got contacted by them. They have never seen my work. I thought it was maybe because I do not have a computer on it since that is one of the questions they asked. I also thought maybe they had enough people already to longarm quilt and those people possibly had computerized longarms. It is all good. I found other groups that do donation quilts for the military and hospice. I also started a group on this board that makes donation quilts for preemies. This keeps me plenty of busy. Many people that have their quilts quilted by a longarm quilter prefer pantos. I think pantos are great, there are beautiful patterns, the quilting is often not as dense as custom quilting, it is more affordable, you can pick exactly what you want etc. Thank you for your help with making donation quilts.