Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I "less than"? >

Am I "less than"?

Am I "less than"?

Old 05-13-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

If some one doesn't like your charitable donation, another one will love it because of the care and love you put into it with your pantograph. I have seen tied quilts take top awards. Move on to someone who cares and really appreciates your thoughtful gesture and donation.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:57 AM

I love pantographs. I quilt for the public and just quit taking custom work. I like to do the custom but it just takes too much time and I want to keep my business parttime so I have time for my own quilting. Also, to be perfectly honest, some quilts do not need custom although the customer asks for custom. It costs a lot more and if a quilt top is really busy, you can't even tell. There are so many pantos to choose from.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Okay this is said with love..... <3

Why do you care what others think? People who quilt for charities have big hearts and can't possibly be "less than". If you feel unappreciated and looked-down on, maybe take your lovely self to another charity that will appreciate your work.

If you want to practice free motion, get some inexpensive muslin, or use scraps or old sheets, and make quilts for your local Humane Society. Dogs don't care what the quilting looks like.

As long as YOU'RE happy with your quilting skills, that's all that matters, IMHO.
Agree so much...I don't really understand worrying about others perceptions of your hobby or skill level. That's just me.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:13 AM

l enjoy my fmq style quilting that l do on any quilt that l feel would benefit from it, especially the ones with a lot of negative space". But so many pieced quilts are too " busy" , and dense quilting can make a quilt feel less cuddly. So enjoy your pantos, and be proud! You are a quilter. Some of my earlier quilts were merely "tied". After 30 years, several are still in use in our family, albeit in somewhat ragged shape,lol.l never considered myself 'less than' when l made those .
Old 05-13-2016, 06:18 AM

Pantographs are like coloring inside the lines not everyone can do this it also takes practice and skills. I do both free motion and pantos it really depends on the quilt.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:19 AM

I agree with Peckish, as long as you're happy with your quilting it shouldn't matter what others say. I too have an Innova and I added robotics cause I can't do freemotion with my shakey hands. Does that make me "not a quilter" cause I rely on a computer to do my work for me? Not in the least in my opinion. I still make the quilt top myself, decide what I want to quilt on it using a computer program. But I still have to put it all together for a finished product. I keep trying to improve on every part of the quilt process. All my quilts are gifts to others too.

I guess I'm doing okay as a couple neighbors have asked me to quilt a couple of their quilts. That brightens my day. But quilting someone else's quilt puts a lot of stress on me as I'm not sure of my abilities though they tell me not to worry.

I don't feel I'm "less than" in any means of the term and you shouldn't either.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:25 AM

Sounds the "Quilt Police" are in your local QOV chapter <grin>. Some people have nothing better to do than judge what other people do. I have a sit down quilter so I can't do pantographs, but I do all-over quilting somewhat similarly. Yes, I do sometimes do "custom" FMQ, but the softness I get in the all-over designs get people asking for them. If you want to do more volunteer quilting, contact other community groups. Is there a Quilts for Kids chapter near you? Project Linus? All look for quilters to help out there piecers.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:45 AM

"less than" only in it should cost less to have a quilt done that way than a custom quilt pattern. Not that you should charge less per hour, only that it's normally going to take less hours to do.

BTW- right now my all over work (computized) looks better than my FMQ - but I'm getting there LOL!!

Any other context does not make sense. Is a basic 9 patch less of a quilt than an appliqued one? that is just the style.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:48 AM

You know what, my grandmother was a quilter, made literally hundreds of quilts for our family, many of which we still own and treasure.

She never made a separate binding, she always wrapped the fabric from the back over to the front and machine-stitched it down. She never mitered a corner, they're all squared off and stitched down. She never sewed for quilting, she tied every single quilt with scraps of yarn. She never bought fancy fabrics or followed patterns, she used wool blocks cut out of clothing and arranged them however she pleased.

Is she somehow "less than" someone else who makes their quilts differently? NO WAY, not in MY book. Not even close!! Her quilts were made with love, made to last, made to keep the people she cared about warm. I cherish every single one of her quilts and I'd give a sharp rap to the noggin belonging to anybody who would dare tell me her quilts are somehow "less than" someone else's. Her quilts are the BEST quilts I own, so warm, so cozy, and so full of love.

You make your quilts YOUR way, and (as my gran would say) - Phooey on anybody else!
Old 05-13-2016, 07:25 AM

Did someone say something to you?

I am unclear as to what the question is about. A quilter is a quilter. The exact choices one makes are as individual as we are.

I would think lots of the QOV quilts would be done with pantos or on DSM. Am I wrong?