Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
another batting question...polyester?? >

another batting question...polyester??

another batting question...polyester??

Old 05-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Default another batting question...polyester??

I have avoided using polyester batting because my quilting friends simply won't recommend it. I have been quilting for about two years, so I rely on their expertise. However, I do not like the antique crinkly look, and I just read on another thread that poly doesn't beard, like I had been told, and that it is the batting to use if I don't want the antique look. It is also fluffier, I think, which I wouldn't mind.

So, those of you who use polyester, does it really not beard and is there a preferred one to use?

Thanks,
Dina
Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Everyone I talk to says it beards, but I've always wanted to try it. I'm going to be checking this thread to see what everyone says. I, too, would like to try a fluffy quilt. I love the crinky look!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:54 AM

I love Quilter's Dream Poly. It handles like cotton but gives the quilt a nice modern look. It's not real fluffy like a comforter or purchased big box store quilt.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

If your friends like cotton batting and the crinkly look ... that's right for them.
If you like puffy and no crinkles ... that's right for you!

There's so many options as to what and how that you could make many quilts before duplicating.

Why not try it on your next quilt and see how you like it?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

I have two quilts with the 'loose' polyester -Mountain Mist brand (unneedled? I don't know the correct term for it) that have been in use for over 10 years and washed at least ten times each - I haven't noticed any bearding. One was hand quilted, one was machine quilted by stitch in the ditch.

However, one of the women in my quilting group made a navy jacket and she had issues with bearding.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:17 AM

This has been my experience: I've used 3 different polyester battings. The first, Fairfield Polyester low loft, bearded. The other two, Hobbs Polydown and Mountain Mist Light, did not beard. Of the two, Hobbs Polydown has the most loft.

Janet
Old 05-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Banned

Everyone has their opinions and preferences about quilting. It is my opinion that when someone in quilting says "you shouldn't, don't do, etc etc" ask them why and then make your own decision. I may not mind the bearding. Many believe poly batting is better for kids quilts as it washes better.
Such talk is what prevents our own creativity from coming out. Just remember these are opinions and not rules or laws. I just get "het" up when I read comments like this. (het was a word my grandmother used frequently - meaning my emotions get heated).
Old 05-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Bearding ... is that a batting issue?
... or a combination of the fabric, thread, needles, techniques etc. used along with the batting?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:28 AM

A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and got to attend a trunk show featuring Lynette Jensen. (she is a quilt designer for Thimbleberries fabric) When ask the question about batting she told us that she uses Hobbs 80/20 polly down. I hope I have it correct. Her quilts were not flat and were not fluffy. I am sure they had been shown many times and probably handled by many. There was no beading in these quilts. I decided I liked the look of her quilts and have tried to use that batting since. I love the look this batting gives my quilts.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:38 AM

Whenever I buy 100% cotton batting, I preshrink it. To do this, I put it in the washer with warm water, do NOT let it aggitate but do let it soak for a while as it seems to take a bit to really get the fibers wet. Then, spin it out, carefully handle it when transferring it to the dryer and dry on low heat. I think you might still get a tiny bit of shrinkage/puckering when your finished quilt is laundered but it sure isn't much. I love the feel of the Hobbs 80/20 and just recently used the Quilter's Dream green batting (recycled). It was very soft and plyable , easy to work with- can't tell you if it will beard or not. It did make for a pretty heavy quilt, however. I think you're going to have to experiment and like some others have said, decide what YOU like good luck and enjoy the journey.