Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
another batting question...polyester?? >

another batting question...polyester??

another batting question...polyester??

Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Different types and amounts of quilting, the size of the quilt pieces, and the fabrics used can give a totally different feel, drape, look etc. to a batting.

So, you might really fall in love with it in one quilt ... or be totally turned away from the same batting in another quilt.
In other words, unless you're comparing apples to apples ...
Old 05-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Bearding is primarily a problem with the batting. Needlepunching reduces the chance of bearding, but does not entirely eliminate it. Wool used to beard terribly (quilters had to encase the wool batt in cheesecloth before using it) until manufacturers such as Hobbs and Quilter's Dream perfected needlepunching. Those two brands of wool batting are now very stable. No matter what the fiber content of the batting, it's best to stick with well-known brands that do not have a history of bearding. You can Google to find horror stories about bearding and then avoid whatever batting was used in the horror story.

Hobbs 80/20 is 80% cotton and shrinks about 3%, similar to all-cotton battings. It can be pre-shrunk, though. Whenever pre-shrinking a batting it's a good idea not to agitate. It's more a pre-soaking than a pre-washing. You place the batting in a top-loading washing machine, fill with water, stop the machine, hand push down on the batting until it is soaked through, move to spin cycle to spin out water, then dry in a dryer.

Important to understand, however, that not all cotton batts can be pre-washed. For example, Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon cotton batting is a truly traditional batting that is made without any bonding, needlepunching, or scrim. Even soaking this batting will cause it to separate into horrible clumps. A batting like this will say on the packaging that it should not be pre-washed.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the info Prism ... so if I'm reading this right ... the important thing to remember that not all batts are created equal! The content may be the same, but the way it is made/processed before we get it, can change it all considerably.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

quilter's Dream Poly is a wonderful batt!
and as for the bearding issue---the 'cheap- low quality batts' beard---poly & cotton---
if you purchase a good quality batt you will be happy with the outcome.
there are so many fabulous batts on the market it is sad to restrict yourself to just one.
poly batts do tend to come in more 'loft' sizes- from very thin to comforter fluffy-
i love all of the batts from the dream company- the Dream Wool is my favorite- followed by Dream Orient, Dream Poly, Dream Green, and the cotton ones too- I also use alot of Hobbs batts-
you should pick up a different batt every now & then- write down in a notebook/journal what it is, where you bought it- how much it cost, and the quilting recommendations (some need to be quilted every 2" some allow up to 10" between quilting lines & everything in between- and some are good for tied quilts, the care instructions- - you should note that too-
then after you use it write down how you liked it & why---then you will be prepared for any project-knowing the perfect batt for that particular project- every project is an individual and deserves to be treated as such- using the appropriate materials for it's particular needs-
Old 05-13-2012, 11:26 AM

If have used poly many times..I have a house full of children and quilts get washed frequently..They have held up very well, even 12 years later...I use this also because at times it is all I can afford, and I quilt for my enjoyment...Mountain Mist is what I usually get, but not exclusively,..,..Just try it on a lap quilt and see how you like it!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Thanks for the info Prism ... so if I'm reading this right ... the important thing to remember that not all batts are created equal! The content may be the same, but the way it is made/processed before we get it, can change it all considerably.
Exactly. Fiber content is only part of the story. Manufacturing process has a lot to do with how the batting performs.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:50 AM

Okay, thanks everyone. So far I have either used Warm and Natural or Hobbs 80/20. I have about 6 yards of each at the moment, but when that is "all used up," I am going to experiment with one that is more poly. My quilting friends never need to know. Except that some of them, including my sister, are part of this board too. Oh well, I can take it.

Dina
Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM

I use Hobbs Polydown all the time. The batting handles well, does not beard, quilts easily, washes and wears well and best of all is affordable. I buy it by the 30 yard roll when my LQS has their 40% off truckload batting sale every spring. It's 108" wide and unrolls beautifully and is uniform without thicker or thinner spots. When I conducted a batting choice survey with my guild, this batting was the number one choice for our number one hand quilter.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:46 PM

Thanks, Shelbie. I think this is the one I will try next.

Dina
Old 05-13-2012, 01:33 PM

As stated earlier not all poly battings are equal . Bearding comes from the fibers migrating through the fabric on the top and backing. So much has been done to prevent this in modern batting. Look for bonded fibers( they take the batting and run them through a high enough temp to literaly melt them together or bond them together) or a poly batting that has a what looks like a shear top and bottom layer. Look closely at the batting you are considering. I have seen some fabulous poly battings . One advantage ( other than no shrinkage) is that quilts made with a poly batting take so much less time to dry.
I use both cotton and poly battings , it just depends on the project.