Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: another batting question...polyester??

another batting question...polyester??

I have avoided using polyester batting because my quilting friends simply won't recommend it. I have been quilting for about two years, so I rely on their expertise. However, I do not like the antique crinkly look, and I just read on another thread that poly doesn't beard, like I had been told, and that it is the batting to use if I don't want the antique look. It is also fluffier, I think, which I wouldn't mind.

So, those of you who use polyester, does it really not beard and is there a preferred one to use?

Thanks,
    Dina

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Everyone I talk to says it beards, but I've always wanted to try it. I'm going to be checking this thread to see what everyone says. I, too, would like to try a fluffy quilt. I love the crinky look!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I love Quilter's Dream Poly. It handles like cotton but gives the quilt a nice modern look. It's not real fluffy like a comforter or purchased big box store quilt.

If your friends like cotton batting and the crinkly look ... that's right for them.
    If you like puffy and no crinkles ... that's right for you!

There's so many options as to what and how that you could make many quilts before duplicating.

Why not try it on your next quilt and see how you like it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Power Poster
    I have two quilts with the 'loose' polyester -Mountain Mist brand (unneedled? I don't know the correct term for it) that have been in use for over 10 years and washed at least ten times each - I haven't noticed any bearding. One was hand quilted, one was machine quilted by stitch in the ditch.

However, one of the women in my quilting group made a navy jacket and she had issues with bearding.

This has been my experience: I've used 3 different polyester battings. The first, Fairfield Polyester low loft, bearded. The other two, Hobbs Polydown and Mountain Mist Light, did not beard. Of the two, Hobbs Polydown has the most loft.

Janet

Banned
    Everyone has their opinions and preferences about quilting. It is my opinion that when someone in quilting says "you shouldn't, don't do, etc etc" ask them why and then make your own decision. I may not mind the bearding. Many believe poly batting is better for kids quilts as it washes better.
    Such talk is what prevents our own creativity from coming out. Just remember these are opinions and not rules or laws. I just get "het" up when I read comments like this. (het was a word my grandmother used frequently - meaning my emotions get heated).

Bearding ... is that a batting issue?
    ... or a combination of the fabric, thread, needles, techniques etc. used along with the batting?

A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and got to attend a trunk show featuring Lynette Jensen. (she is a quilt designer for Thimbleberries fabric) When ask the question about batting she told us that she uses Hobbs 80/20 polly down. I hope I have it correct. Her quilts were not flat and were not fluffy. I am sure they had been shown many times and probably handled by many. There was no beading in these quilts. I decided I liked the look of her quilts and have tried to use that batting since. I love the look this batting gives my quilts.
    Lorraine

Whenever I buy 100% cotton batting, I preshrink it. To do this, I put it in the washer with warm water, do NOT let it aggitate but do let it soak for a while as it seems to take a bit to really get the fibers wet. Then, spin it out, carefully handle it when transferring it to the dryer and dry on low heat. I think you might still get a tiny bit of shrinkage/puckering when your finished quilt is laundered but it sure isn't much. I love the feel of the Hobbs 80/20 and just recently used the Quilter's Dream green batting (recycled). It was very soft and plyable , easy to work with- can't tell you if it will beard or not. It did make for a pretty heavy quilt, however. I think you're going to have to experiment and like some others have said, decide what YOU like good luck and enjoy the journey.
    Pat

Different types and amounts of quilting, the size of the quilt pieces, and the fabrics used can give a totally different feel, drape, look etc. to a batting.

So, you might really fall in love with it in one quilt ... or be totally turned away from the same batting in another quilt.
    In other words, unless you're comparing apples to apples ...

Blog Entries
    Bearding is primarily a problem with the batting. Needlepunching reduces the chance of bearding, but does not entirely eliminate it. Wool used to beard terribly (quilters had to encase the wool batt in cheesecloth before using it) until manufacturers such as Hobbs and Quilter's Dream perfected needlepunching. Those two brands of wool batting are now very stable. No matter what the fiber content of the batting, it's best to stick with well-known brands that do not have a history of bearding. You can Google to find horror stories about bearding and then avoid whatever batting was used in the horror story.

Hobbs 80/20 is 80% cotton and shrinks about 3%, similar to all-cotton battings. It can be pre-shrunk, though. Whenever pre-shrinking a batting it's a good idea not to agitate. It's more a pre-soaking than a pre-washing. You place the batting in a top-loading washing machine, fill with water, stop the machine, hand push down on the batting until it is soaked through, move to spin cycle to spin out water, then dry in a dryer.

Important to understand, however, that not all cotton batts can be pre-washed. For example, Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon cotton batting is a truly traditional batting that is made without any bonding, needlepunching, or scrim. Even soaking this batting will cause it to separate into horrible clumps. A batting like this will say on the packaging that it should not be pre-washed.

Thanks for the info Prism ... so if I'm reading this right ... the important thing to remember that not all batts are created equal! The content may be the same, but the way it is made/processed before we get it, can change it all considerably.

Blog Entries
    quilter's Dream Poly is a wonderful batt!
    and as for the bearding issue---the 'cheap- low quality batts' beard---poly & cotton---
    if you purchase a good quality batt you will be happy with the outcome.
    there are so many fabulous batts on the market it is sad to restrict yourself to just one.
    poly batts do tend to come in more 'loft' sizes- from very thin to comforter fluffy-
    i love all of the batts from the dream company- the Dream Wool is my favorite- followed by Dream Orient, Dream Poly, Dream Green, and the cotton ones too- I also use alot of Hobbs batts-
    you should pick up a different batt every now & then- write down in a notebook/journal what it is, where you bought it- how much it cost, and the quilting recommendations (some need to be quilted every 2" some allow up to 10" between quilting lines & everything in between- and some are good for tied quilts, the care instructions- - you should note that too-
    then after you use it write down how you liked it & why---then you will be prepared for any project-knowing the perfect batt for that particular project- every project is an individual and deserves to be treated as such- using the appropriate materials for it's particular needs-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

If have used poly many times..I have a house full of children and quilts get washed frequently..They have held up very well, even 12 years later...I use this also because at times it is all I can afford, and I quilt for my enjoyment...Mountain Mist is what I usually get, but not exclusively,..,..Just try it on a lap quilt and see how you like it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Thanks for the info Prism ... so if I'm reading this right ... the important thing to remember that not all batts are created equal! The content may be the same, but the way it is made/processed before we get it, can change it all considerably.
    Exactly. Fiber content is only part of the story. Manufacturing process has a lot to do with how the batting performs.

Okay, thanks everyone. So far I have either used Warm and Natural or Hobbs 80/20. I have about 6 yards of each at the moment, but when that is "all used up," I am going to experiment with one that is more poly. My quilting friends never need to know. Except that some of them, including my sister, are part of this board too. Oh well, I can take it.

Dina

I use Hobbs Polydown all the time. The batting handles well, does not beard, quilts easily, washes and wears well and best of all is affordable. I buy it by the 30 yard roll when my LQS has their 40% off truckload batting sale every spring. It's 108" wide and unrolls beautifully and is uniform without thicker or thinner spots. When I conducted a batting choice survey with my guild, this batting was the number one choice for our number one hand quilter.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Thanks, Shelbie. I think this is the one I will try next.

Dina

As stated earlier not all poly battings are equal . Bearding comes from the fibers migrating through the fabric on the top and backing. So much has been done to prevent this in modern batting. Look for bonded fibers( they take the batting and run them through a high enough temp to literaly melt them together or bond them together) or a poly batting that has a what looks like a shear top and bottom layer. Look closely at the batting you are considering. I have seen some fabulous poly battings . One advantage ( other than no shrinkage) is that quilts made with a poly batting take so much less time to dry.
    I use both cotton and poly battings , it just depends on the project.

Hobs 80/20 is on sale for 30% off at Connecting Threads. Its the only thing I use.

Blog Entries
    I absolutely prefer Quilter's dream in poly. It hand quilts nicely and holds up to many washings. My next choice is Hobbs 80/20. It would be my second choice. Alot of my preference is based on ease of handquilting and price. Watch for sales and you will be able to find bargains. I do not like Mountain Mist and the one with the big bird on the front of the package. Both didn't quilt as nicely.

Power Poster
    I think sometimes people ask for advice/suggestions because they are on limited budgets and don't have the funds to allow for much experimentation - so are trying to get the best they can for the money available for the project.

So when I hear 'try this, try that' - and I don't have the money to do that - I get frustrated!

I hear the higher end polyesters don't beard, but like some said try a few, maybe get small craft sizes to use in practic sandwiches, quilt them bind them wash them and see how they look and what you prefer. To me that would be the best way