Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Any Japanese textile experts here?

Ski

Question Any Japanese textile experts here?

Hi -- I'm new to the board, and joined because I own a piece of fabric that I'm trying to identify. I thought it was silk, but now I'm not so sure.

I found a thread from December related to identifying whether or not something is silk, which was helpful, but I'm still stymied.

It's a fabric woven from very, very fine fibers, with quite a sheen to it. It has a label on it that says "Kiryu Gown Society, Superior Trademark" with a picture of a dragonfly. It was a rummage sale find about eight years ago, but I have no idea of its history prior to that. I always thought that I might do something with it, but I haven't managed to and I believe I'll wind up eBaying it instead, hoping it lands in hands that have more talent than mine.

I don't want to misrepresent it in the listing, so I tried some of the tests from the December thread, but I'm just not sure. It doesn't "melt" like a synthetic, but it did actually flame rather than glow, which I believe silk shouldn't do? Any other tips? I really don't want to say that it's silk if it's not.

I did find this link about the Kiryu textile industry, and it does seem that Kiryu fabrics are often -- but not always -- silk.

http://www.kiea.jp/KiryuOri.html

Any information would be very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    Hi -- I'm new to the board, and joined because I own a piece of fabric that I'm trying to identify. I thought it was silk, but now I'm not so sure.

I found a thread from December related to identifying whether or not something is silk, which was helpful, but I'm still stymied.

It's a fabric woven from very, very fine fibers, with quite a sheen to it. It has a label on it that says "Kiryu Gown Society, Superior Trademark" with a picture of a dragonfly. It was a rummage sale find about eight years ago, but I have no idea of its history prior to that. I always thought that I might do something with it, but I haven't managed to and I believe I'll wind up eBaying it instead, hoping it lands in hands that have more talent than mine.

I don't want to misrepresent it in the listing, so I tried some of the tests from the December thread, but I'm just not sure. It doesn't "melt" like a synthetic, but it did actually flame rather than glow, which I believe silk shouldn't do? Any other tips? I really don't want to say that it's silk if it's not.

I did find this link about the Kiryu textile industry, and it does seem that Kiryu fabrics are often -- but not always -- silk.

http://www.kiea.jp/KiryuOri.html

Any information would be very much appreciated!
    What did it smell like when you burnt it? A wood or papery smell means it's probably rayon. If it smelled kind of like burnt hair then it's silk.

Ski
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    What did it smell like when you burnt it? A wood or papery smell means it's probably rayon. If it smelled kind of like burnt hair then it's silk.
    LOL -- I'm fighting a cold right now, so my sense of smell isn't that keen. I did the burn test in the kitchen, and my husband asked me why he was smelling burning hair, but it actually didn't smell like hair to me; I think I was smelling the sulfur from the (wood) matches more than anything else. I guess I might have to wait until my nose clears a bit to do a true smell test!

Thanks for the input.