Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Longarm quilters out there that can help? >

Any Longarm quilters out there that can help?

Any Longarm quilters out there that can help?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 AM

I just had a customer drop off a scalloped edge quilt, not realizing that you should not scallop the edges until after the machine quilting is done. What is the best way to baste this quilt top? I will have to float the top as I cannot attach to the leaders with the size of these scallops. Help?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:48 AM

Why are you basting it? What are you basting it to? If you are looking for a way to keep each scallop down as you quilt that section, I suggest you use spray adhesive AFTER you've rolled to that point. There is also a wash away doublestick 1/4" tape (I think Joann sells it in notions). You'd have to explain that to the customer so she wouldn't try to pull it out. Otherwise, you could pin the scallops in the current section and remove the pin from the scallop you're quilting BEFORE quilting it. Are the scallops especially large or small?
Good Luck! I would love to know how you solve this challenge.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:20 AM

I am basting this to the batting. Since I am now in my studio where I can measure these the scallops are 10" wide and 2" deep. I am doing an edge to edge (3/4" stipple) to try to catch the edges of the scallops. Just realized I have a can of PAMS fabric spray adhesive. I have never used it (I am 6 months new to machine quilting). Have you used it before? This might be the answer.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Check the can. Many quilting sprays will only work with cotton batting and cotton fabric. I don't know that I would spray a customer quilt unless I checked with them first. If you do proceed with the spray, make sure that you use sheets or something to cover EVERTHING except the batting. The spray will go everywhere and if you get it on your rollers it will be a mess. Hope you told her that there was going to be an extra charge for this. I think it's going to be a whole lot of extra time fiddling with it.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:22 AM

I haven't used it on the long arm but I used to for quilting on my regular machine. Since there aren't that many scallops you could also just use washable glue stick. That way you won't have to worry about overspray. Just use a clipboard (or hardcover book ) and a sheet of paper to protect it. Lay it down on the quilttop next to the scallop, flip over the scallop and glue stick the edge, flip it back over and voila! You don't have to get the whole edge covered either, just enough to keep it down, kind of glue basted. I'm an expert in glue stick (I'm also the Queen of reverse sewing [ripping out]).
Old 08-27-2011, 11:43 AM

i would call this person and tell them before hand all the challenges you will be experiencing and get her to ok the job (in writing) before proceeding forward.

i would load the quilt and stitch complete around the scallop across the top (about a 1/4 inch so it can be hidden in the binding), then i would stitch down the scallop completely on the right side, then i would do some basting stitches on the left side as you work.

this will allow you to remove the left side stitches to ease any fullness or other issues you might experience.

i would do the borders in sections as you go to ease fullness and to try and prevent any distortion.

but again, i can not stress this enough, you need to tell this person up front and they very well could pull this border off and sew another on - i would certainly want to do that if this was my quilt instead of risking the distortion that might occur because the scallops are already cut.

about once a week we see people post here that the LA made a mistake and didn't even bother to talk to me about it first before quilting the quilt.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM

I use the washable glue stick for any pesky edges when doing the pantos and it holds very well. I would call the customer and tell her and explain that the glue is safe to use on the quilt.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Good ideas. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:45 AM

I would not quilt it.
She can put new borders on.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:19 AM

When I get these, I use the basting spray around the edges so that holds it down long enough to baste or quilt. I hope this helps.