Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Longarm quilters out there that can help? >

Any Longarm quilters out there that can help?

Any Longarm quilters out there that can help?

Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 AM

I have had this problem, and I used a product called "Press'n Seal", made by Glad. Pressed it to the quilt top over the edge. You can ripe it from the quilt after the quilting is done. It is difficult to quilt off of the "press n seal", and then back onto it without it turning over the edge of the wrap,.... so try to apply it over the entire edge, quilting that area. Remove the plastic wrap by pulling it away when your done. I felt it work great! Just go slow and easy. Good Luck.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:43 AM

you can do it!!!! I NEVER attach my tops to the leaders. I baste the batting along the top to the backing. Then I lay my top on and pin an inch from the left side and an inch from the top edge - all along the top edge. I then baste the top on to the batting/backing. It CAN be done.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:50 AM

This sounds like a great idea that I can use in other situations as well (The glad press and seal). I have notified the quilter of the issues and am waiting her response as to whether or not she is willing to risk distortion and pay for my time and effort to work this through. Someone else made the quilt top for her since she doesn't sew herself (as a favor). I'll let you know what she decides and how it goes if I end up doing it. Thanks for all your ideas.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I am not a longarmer but I have quilted a scalloped edge quilt. I used scrap cloth to sew all along the edges including the scallop under the fabric. This gives you a straight edge and you only have a little area on the outside of the scallop and where the scrap cloth is joined to quilt later if needed.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:52 AM

Will be interested to hear how you solve this problem and see the finished quilt. Sounds like a challenge to me!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:51 PM

Was the backing scalloped too? Curious
Old 08-28-2011, 12:58 PM

I have been longarming for a while. I like the spray baste for your border. I had one that was log cabin on point, with the points left free floating. I made sure to measure and get each point the correct distance from the edge of the frame, so all would be a like. being on point it was streachy. You can then bast the edges for more security. then quilt away. do this a section at a time. in other words, float the top. Let the bottom hang down and quilt a section, roll the quilt, get the next section ready and then quilt it. clear as mud. LOL found a picture. hope it helps.

open on point no settings
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248163[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-248157.jpe  
Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 PM

You can add sacarfice(sp) borders to the top. I do this when I have cust quilts that are too small and they want a certin design in them.
I cut a 4" strip of muslin,baste stitch it under the scallops so the scallops are on top. do this on all 4 sides.
I never float my tops,so pin it the bottom to the leader. Baste the top to the batting and back as usual.

Baste the sides down as you go. Then you can do 2 things...quilt the scallops with the borders on and they can be trimmed off when top is done. OR when you come to each scallop,you gently remove the border as you quilt and then baster only the edge of the scallop before you quilt it. This takes time but will work. I do hope you are charging her custom prices for the quilt
Old 08-28-2011, 04:15 PM

When I deal with this type of thing, I will find a border area with a straight or almost straight area to align the quilt then go back up to baste the rest of the scallop to the back. I use my channel lock to do the first alignment. It usually works well. I will also use the vertical channel lock to align the sides in the same way. Lately, I have been basting the entire quilt when there are issues like this, and then go back and quilt the quilt as needed.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:23 PM

No but it was only 2" longer and wider than the top. Only 1" to clamp to or pin to so I sent that back to have her add additional fabric.