Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Longarm quilters out there that can help? >

Any Longarm quilters out there that can help?

Any Longarm quilters out there that can help?

Old 08-28-2011, 04:25 PM

This is something to think about once she gets back to me on whether she is willing to put additional money into this quilt. I haven't done this before but heard about it. Do you re-use your muslin borders?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by vickimc
I have been longarming for a while. I like the spray baste for your border. I had one that was log cabin on point, with the points left free floating. I made sure to measure and get each point the correct distance from the edge of the frame, so all would be a like. being on point it was streachy. You can then bast the edges for more security. then quilt away. do this a section at a time. in other words, float the top. Let the bottom hang down and quilt a section, roll the quilt, get the next section ready and then quilt it. clear as mud. LOL found a picture. hope it helps.
WOW. I bet this was a challenge. Was it a personal quilt or for a customer?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by cindyluwho
I have been longarming for a while. I like the spray baste for your border. I had one that was log cabin on point, with the points left free floating. I made sure to measure and get each point the correct distance from the edge of the frame, so all would be a like. being on point it was streachy. You can then bast the edges for more security. then quilt away. do this a section at a time. in other words, float the top. Let the bottom hang down and quilt a section, roll the quilt, get the next section ready and then quilt it. clear as mud. LOL found a picture. hope it helps.
WOW. I bet this was a challenge. Was it a personal quilt or for
a customer?
Customers quilt. yes, I charged extra. PITA been about 5 yrs ago.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 PM

thanks so much for taking the time to share.

WOW. I bet this was a challenge. Was it a personal quilt or for
a customer?
Customers quilt. yes, I charged extra. PITA been about 5 yrs ago.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 AM

No but it was only 2" longer and wider than the top. Only 1" to clamp to or pin to so I sent that back to have her add additional fabric.
This is something I don't allow - on ANY quilt -- it HAS to be 4" wider on each side and 4" longer on both ends........HAS to be -- why put myself under the stress of worrying about it coming out right!!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
No but it was only 2" longer and wider than the top. Only 1" to clamp to or pin to so I sent that back to have her add additional fabric.
This is something I don't allow - on ANY quilt -- it HAS to be 4" wider on each side and 4" longer on both ends........HAS to be -- why put myself under the stress of worrying about it coming out right!!!!
I have asked for that amount, I guess I am going to have to insist. I agree with the stress. I don't need it either. I did return the back to her.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM

Cindyluwho- who was no more than two-
a fav of mine, I am alsew a long armer, and i think you did the right thing, but you have to know you did the right thing, if its not on ur conscience, you did, but if it eats you up, or consumes you, youll know you did the wrong thing.
go with ur gut feeling, and it will be right every time!!
good luck,
katz