Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is anyone else disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine these days? >

Is anyone else disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine these days?

Is anyone else disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine these days?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:08 AM

I bought a lot of old magazines on ebay and i learn a lot of little bits here and there...as far as difficult patterns they have them...the cover quilts are all wow
Old 08-07-2009, 05:15 AM

I'm lucky as it is at the local library so I don't have to buy it and can just look at it. I have another delivered hom and have already made one from one of the magazines. I will probably ask for another subscription from my niece for christmas. She likes to do that.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:26 AM

I am just so appreciative of reading all your opinions on magazines and books available for quilters. I'm not part of a guild, and don't have any quilting friends in town, so reading your reactions to things like this really helps me decide where to best spend my hard-earned money. Thank you all so much!

PS: I've been disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine too, and with the last issue I bought I had to ask my self why I bought it.

Renee
Old 08-07-2009, 06:02 AM
Bev

I think what happens is that people new to quilting are so excited with it that they love almost all of the magazines. The bright colors, and the beauty of all the quilts, plus the pictures (in the readers' "write in" sections) give them a lot of confidence that they too can make these quilts. I know this happened to me. The magazines make you aware that there's a whole new world for you out there. After a number of years that kind of glitter wears off a little and you settle down to reality, what you can someday hope to make and what is simply beyond your expertise. You begin to look at the mags with a jaded eye, and you want a more realistic approach. You also know that your lifespan will only permit just so many quilts to be made, no matter how fast you can work. That is when we start weeding out our subscriptions and getting them down to a reasonable few. Or just stop subscribing and start going through all the back issues we've saved. Just my opinion.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:10 AM

Well said, Bev!! That's exactly what has happened to me.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:33 AM

I subscribe to Meg Cox's newsletter, and she may have the answer for you in her latest: (I am sorry that it is long, but I didn't want to take anything out of context) .......so, don't be quick.....wait and see what happens with the new owners.
NEWS FLASH: MAJOR MERGER OF QUILT MAGAZINES
We all know the economy sucks and magazines and newspapers everywhere have gone under due to steep drops in ad revenues. There have been rumors for months that magazine publisher CK Media was in trouble, followed by reports of layoffs at its various titles. These are some of the most beloved quilt publications around, from the long-lived Quilter's Newsletter to the fun, new kid on the block, Mark Lipinski's Quilter's Home. Personally, I subscribe to both of these as well as other CK titles like McCall's Quilting and couldn't bear to contemplate their demise. In all, CK Media put out 9 magazines with a combined circulation of about one million.
The news is mostly good. Earlier this month, CK Media was acquired by New Track Media LLC, a publishing company based in Cambridge, Mass. that already owns such high-profile quilting properties as QNNtv, Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting and the Keepsake Quilting catalogs.
There's been grumbling over the subsequent firing of more than 20 CK Media employees, from editorial staffers to management and back-office types. I can see why New Track wouldn't want to keep circulation, accounting and other such functions in Denver and Salt Lake City when it's got these departments elsewhere. But I also understand why this mega deal might make some folks nervous. The lion's share of quilt magazines are now owned by one company. That's a lot of eggs in one basket, so let's take a look at whether that basket is sturdy.
New Track Media is part of the portfolio of a well-regarded private equity company called Boston Ventures that specializes in media and communications. But the key player here is New Track's CEO Stephen Kent. As a former reporter for the Wall Street Journal, I know there are investor groups full of meatheads who buy up assets willy nilly, with no passion for the products in question and no more than greed as a strategic plan, but I don't believe that's the case here. I had an opportunity recently to put some questions to Stephen Kent about the deal, so I'll share his responses.
First off, Kent is a savvy, Harvard-educated guy who formerly spent 5 years as CEO of F & W Publishing, a publisher of hobby and special interest magazines, books and book clubs that grew to $250 million in annual revenues from $65 million when he began. So he gets the publishing business and he knows how to grow it. He founded New Track in 2006 and since has acquired Keepsake Quilting, Fons & Porter and QNNtv, among other properties including the magazine Sky & Telescope.
In defending the staff cuts, Stephen Kent told me: "We believe that the entire group (at CK Media) was at risk before our transaction, which is to say that we feel like we protected most jobs while having to reduce some." Going forward, he says, quilting is now the biggest component of New Track's business, and thus he is committed to "seeing the category grow and helping it do that by serving quilting enthusiasts in the best ways possible... The objective is to do more not less, so eliminating publications is not in our plans."
I was eager to ask Stephen Kent about the Quilting in America survey, a popular census of quilters which has been published every 3 years since 1993. The last survey came out in 2006 from CK Media, so 2009 would seem to be time for an update. "The former ownership let this slip, presumably due to cost," he said. "We are now trying to figure out if we can make this happen. If at all possible, our intention would be to continue the research." So, there may or may not be a 2009 Quilting in America survey announced at Quilt Festival in October, but they're trying.
It's impossible to predict how this company will change these publications going forward, but so far things look promising. For one, this deal puts two powerhouse talents in the same company: Mark Lipinski and Jodie Davis, president of QNN, who will debut their new quilt TV show, Quilt Out Loud, on the web later this month. (For details go to www.quiltoutloud.com). Also, Angie Hodapp was just named editor-in-chief of Quilter's Newsletter, taking over from Jan Magee. Angie is a young, passionate and very able editor who understands the high-tech tools of today's quilters, so this bodes well.
Bottom line: I think we should all celebrate this move because it represents a humongous investment in the future of quilting. These are smart people and they clearly think quilting is going to continue growing. Let's surpass their expectations, shall we?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 AM

Patrice.J, thank you for the web site. I signed up right away. I love to look at things on line.... especially for free. There are so many sites out there now that charge a lot to view their shows and products... nice to get a freebie... Quilter 1234
Old 08-07-2009, 01:25 PM

You know, after my earlier response, I was thinking that instead of buying the magazines, a new (or even an experienced ) quilter would benefit more from purchasing a few good books written by professional or seasoned quilters. I have several and have gone to them as good resources. At first I looked for books that "started from the beginning." I looked for good illustrations, good step-by-step instructions, and all of the things that a new quilter may not be aware of. For instance -- what are the sizes of different quilts: baby, lap, couch, twin, double, queen, king? What tools are most necessary? Care of fabrics. Etc. Piecing techniques.

A lot of books come to mind, and I know which ones I like best. I don't want to seem as though I'm advertising any of the authors or books. Many books would suit the needs a new quilter. I still consider myself a beginner, even though I began in 1995. There are so many things that I don't know. And truthfully, this board has been my favorite "book."
Just the day-to-day advice and comments are good learning devices. And let's not forget the tutorials. I know a lot of you could add more than this. I'm still learning my way around the board. I learn something new everyday.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:52 PM

I let my subscription to QN go 2 yrs. ago. Not my cup of tea! I like the others except Lupinski's. I'm interested in the quilts the subscribers make.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Ann

I agree. I discontinued my subscription.