Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Anyone ever had their Stitch length dial on their Bernina quit working??

  1. #1
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,372

    Anyone ever had their Stitch length dial on their Bernina quit working??

    I have a Bernina 630. I love my machine, it has been a dream. However yesterday it decided that I may no longer adjust the stitch length any more. The knob for the width still works fine, but not the lower length knob. This, of course, means that I cannot adjust embroidery stitches either. I wonder if there is a spring in there or something that is no longer connected.
    My local shop that sold and fixed Bernina's closed last year. There is another shop about 10 miles away that is now selling and repairing. They are still in the "learning" phase of machine repair. I need to get this in but the owner of the shop broke her foot or ankle or something about 3 weeks ago and cannot walk on her foot for 6 weeks so they are not taking in any machines right now.
    I can still sew, I have several memorized, saved stitches for quilting with that I am using, just can't manipulate the stitches like I would like.
    Anyone else ever had this happen with their Bernina??


    My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Pepita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond, TX
    Posts
    411
    No, I haven't had that happen. I have an Artista 165. Have you tried a hard boot? In other words, unplug the computer, wait a few minutes and re plug and start again. We have computers in our machines it seems like what we do for computers should also work in our machines! There should be a place on your machine where it can be reset to factory standard. Can you do that? Does that help? Do you clean and oil your machine? I've found that is really important even on the Bernina. I know that on my old mechanical machine I had lots of problems getting the tension right. I finally took it to a repair shop and he told me that changing the tension only works with the foot down and engaged. Otherwise I was just spinning the tension dial. I don't know if anything like that works for the Bernina, I just know that there are weird fixes. In your classes to show you how to use the Bernina, did they show you how to oil and clean it?
    If these things don't help, I would email Bernina and find out what they have to say. You have some legitimate gripes and they are the ones that see that all the cogs work. (like repairs at your shop)
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Super Member alleyoop1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,174
    I've never had that happen but it sounds like it's time for a 'spa' treatment at your local Bernina Dealers! Your machine will love you for it!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1
    I have a 630 also and do love it,,! Although I have not yet had this problem,I have run into another person who has had this problem. I believe it is a board that will need replacement. If you are under the 5 years of ownership,this should be covered. do check with dealer...new dealer should honor that too

  5. #5
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,609
    I had one gal in my 830 mastery class have this happen. Did you travel with the machine lately? In her case traveling to class, she somehow let the front of the machine and knob bang against something and it broke the knob inside the machine.

  6. #6
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,372
    Quote Originally Posted by pjsewbuzy View Post
    I have a 630 also and do love it,,! Although I have not yet had this problem,I have run into another person who has had this problem. I believe it is a board that will need replacement. If you are under the 5 years of ownership,this should be covered. do check with dealer...new dealer should honor that too

    I've had the machine about 6 or 7 years now. I bought is used so don't have a warranty on it. Oh man.... I hope it's not a real expensive fix!!!!


    My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

  7. #7
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I had one gal in my 830 mastery class have this happen. Did you travel with the machine lately? In her case traveling to class, she somehow let the front of the machine and knob bang against something and it broke the knob inside the machine.
    No, however we did put it in the travel case to take it in for cleaning and such but when I called the shop, that's when I learned about her accident and that they were not taking in any machines to be fixed. It didn't leave my sewing desk. I took it back out of the travel case and, yes, the knob did not work after that.


    My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

  8. #8
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepita View Post
    No, I haven't had that happen. I have an Artista 165. Have you tried a hard boot? In other words, unplug the computer, wait a few minutes and re plug and start again. We have computers in our machines it seems like what we do for computers should also work in our machines! There should be a place on your machine where it can be reset to factory standard. Can you do that? Does that help? Do you clean and oil your machine? I've found that is really important even on the Bernina. I know that on my old mechanical machine I had lots of problems getting the tension right. I finally took it to a repair shop and he told me that changing the tension only works with the foot down and engaged. Otherwise I was just spinning the tension dial. I don't know if anything like that works for the Bernina, I just know that there are weird fixes. In your classes to show you how to use the Bernina, did they show you how to oil and clean it?
    If these things don't help, I would email Bernina and find out what they have to say. You have some legitimate gripes and they are the ones that see that all the cogs work. (like repairs at your shop)
    I clean and oil the machine regularly. I don't know how to re boot the computer short of turning it off and then back on. Which has been done. The knob doesn't have the same feel as the width knob, which makes me think there is some type of spring or something in it.


    My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

  9. #9
    Super Member jcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Posts
    2,678
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I had one gal in my 830 mastery class have this happen. Did you travel with the machine lately? In her case traveling to class, she somehow let the front of the machine and knob bang against something and it broke the knob inside the machine.
    I know I have to be very, very careful about my knobs on the front. My dealer made a big deal about not carrying it with the knobs facing me, as I could break one off and that would be very, very bad.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

  10. #10
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
    No, however we did put it in the travel case to take it in for cleaning and such but when I called the shop, that's when I learned about her accident and that they were not taking in any machines to be fixed. It didn't leave my sewing desk. I took it back out of the travel case and, yes, the knob did not work after that.
    Yikes, it may be like the gal in my class. From what I understand it doesn't take all that much to damage the knobs and putting it in and out of the case may have hit it enough to do damage? I suppose you won't know until you get it serviced. The dealer covered hers under warranty, although he probably did it as a favor. If it's just the knob, I can't see it costing too much to repair.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.