Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A ?? for anyone, and hand quilters-Don-isewman >

A ?? for anyone, and hand quilters-Don-isewman

A ?? for anyone, and hand quilters-Don-isewman

Old 06-15-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Molokai Tutu View Post
I handquilt Hawaiian Quilts . Ofcourse its outrageous to charge by the yard ,spool or whatever. For a friend , I charged 6.50 and hour (did it by watching TV) I added the time spend. It came out to 375 hours, it was a king size quilt. When I figure out how to post the pics I will show them For more info ,write [email protected], Aloha!
$2437.50??
Old 06-16-2014, 03:14 AM

I had a quilt hand quilted by my church, very similar layout to yours, between double and queen size and I paid $350. quilting around the butterflies and outside of blocks. Simple rope pattern in border. This was in Ontario Canada
Old 06-16-2014, 03:30 AM

Don, your hand quilting is amazing to me. I would gladly pay you $400+ to quilt that quilt!!! After you finish the quilting, that quilt will be priceless to her!
Old 06-16-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
Depends on the area you live in and how much quilting; but in my area its usually between 2 1/2cents to 3 cents per square inch. 85x100= 8500 sq. inches x .025= $212.50 or 8500 x .03= $255.00
That is the price in my area for long arm quilting. I would expect the charge for hand quilting to be 2 or 3 times that.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:13 AM

Don if there is a quilting group at a church or club near you, please call them to see what they charge for hand quilting. Since they do it all the time in your area, they have a good idea what the traffic will bear. If you are the only person quilting on it so the quilting is all even, you can charge a little more.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
$2437.50??
OMG! i'm in the wrong business!!! LOLOL
Old 06-16-2014, 05:26 AM

One of the posts here was find out what a long armer would charge and go 2-3 times more. That is beginning to make sense. I hand quilt. Go to one of the Amish sites selling quilts and look at size of quilts, detail in quilting, etc. and then cost. I would not do that quilt for less than $ 1,000. A friend? $500 and up. You not only are quilting but you are also planning the design, marking the quilt, etc which also takes time.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:31 AM

I would ask her if you could you use a Sashiko machine! Wow, what an undertaking. If you haven't done much hand quilting, I wouldn't take the project. If you have, then you know the speed in which you can do this. I would determine the amount of time for one block, then multiply that time the number of blocks and charge accordingly...by the hour.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:54 AM

I do custom hand quilting to support my quilting habit. It is not something that you can even expect to even get minimum wage on. I keep track of the yards of thread used and charge about .70/yd. (More for quilts that "stick" hard and take more time to quilt.) I love to hand quilt! Have room in my house to have one in a big floor frame where I can just relax with some quilt time without having to get it out and put it away. If I am quilting for someone else, I am not spending money on my own quilts. (I don't need any more!) It is a great stress reliever for me and pays instead of me paying a therapist! (I charge extra for marking, binding, and any supplies that I purchase.) Not sure that answers your question. You have to decide what it is personally worth for you to do it and see if your customer agrees. If not, move on to other projects.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:10 AM

I also hand quilt for other people. My normal charge is $.60 per yard of thread used. I know this is not a lot but I enjoy it. I have also now come to the time that I need to concentrate on getting some of my own quilts finished so my children will not have to have someone else quilt them. Guess according to these posts I do not charge enough. May have to rethink my prices if I accept another quilt to do.