Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A ?? for anyone, and hand quilters-Don-isewman >

A ?? for anyone, and hand quilters-Don-isewman

A ?? for anyone, and hand quilters-Don-isewman

Old 06-16-2014, 07:12 AM

This is a good question to present to this board. I have just finished an "embroidered squares" quilt for a church friend. What a nightmare it would have been for someone else. Ran out of sashing fabric before I was finished, used two different colors thread for close stippling quilting and had bad bleed through (dark thread on top and white on bottom because of white lining), got done with the quilting and couldn't decide how to quilt the embroidered parts, and couldn't sew through or out the little blue dots that weren't embroidered (so had to French knot them myself); then decided that I couldn't do the hand quilting that needed to be done on them so paid a lady $100 to quilt them for me; and took me nearly three years to get to this point.....And I am only going to charge her $150 because of the time that I have had it, even though she told me to "take my time since they had been in a dresser drawer since grannie gave them to her in 1993. But it is a beautiful quilt--she is going to have a fit over it, if she ever comes over to pick it up. Hahahah.

To answer your question, I hand quilt only for special people whom I know will appreciate my work, and will not notice any bad stitches, and would not charge them that much because it would only be a time-filler job for me and it would take me a long, long time to get it done. Maybe Baptist fans pattern, and no more than $100, unless you know that she can handle a higher fee. It is a gorgeous quilt.

Last edited by oldtnquiltinglady; 06-16-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:17 PM

My mother hand quilts and she charges $100 to $300 depending on how much quilting she has to do as well as how much time it takes to quilt it. She keeps track of her time as well.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
OMG! i'm in the wrong business!!! LOLOL
Hey, $2437.50 for the rest of your life's work? ..?. . . That's not bad. ( very large grin )
Old 06-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

There are some things I will do for love - but there isn't enough money in the world to pay me to do them.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

For those that charge "by the yard of thread"

If I cut a piece of thread 36 inches long - I sew from both directions so am only dealing with about 18 inches of thread at a time -

And only 30 inches of the thread is actually used in the quilt - do you charge for 1 yard of thread or only 5/6 of a yard?