Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Use a Pounce to Mark Tops??

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i bellieve i read that Eleanor Burns slightly dampens her fabric and then uses talcum powder
    I was going to suggest talcum powder...

"Pounce" is a terrible word for describing this product. You need to rub it (swipe it) over the stencil for it to deposit the chalk. The only time you pounce it is to load it up with the chalk. There is a new powder that is ironed off. I saw it demonstated at the quilt show.

Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    "Pounce" is a terrible word for describing this product. You need to rub it (swipe it) over the stencil for it to deposit the chalk. The only time you pounce it is to load it up with the chalk. There is a new powder that is ironed off. I saw it demonstated at the quilt show.
    Thanks for the info! Just googled this one and it looks promising (though....don't they all.. :roll: ). Has anyone tried the iron off powder?

I have used the old fashioned sliver of soap with good success.

I'm not so much help, but I have marked a lap quilt with the white iron off pounce and I loved the way it went on-easy peasy! But I haven't quilted it yet. I ask this same question here and got positive responses, so I bought the product and have great hopes in it because I hate marking for FMQing.

I've tried and can mark just fine, but the chalk seems to come off enough that you cannot see all your markings through the whole process of quilting.

Banned
    If you use the regular chalk pounce, then spray with hair spray to hold it in place while quilting. This is assuming you intend to wash the quilt when finished.

I have the iron off and have used it on my practice quilts on my longarm and it seems to work just fine.

And yes, you swipe, not pounce. I guess pounce sounds better than swipe. :)

I learned to make sure the ruff side of the paper should be the one to pounce, it really catches the powder and then shows up. At first I tried it on the smooth side and was dissapointed with the effect, too light. Have not used it on a large item, so I don't know if is stays on the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    If you use the regular chalk pounce, then spray with hair spray to hold it in place while quilting. This is assuming you intend to wash the quilt when finished.
    Hmm, good to know, will have to try this the next time.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast