Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone use the Ruler foot and ruler templates to quilt on domestic machine? >

Anyone use the Ruler foot and ruler templates to quilt on domestic machine?

Anyone use the Ruler foot and ruler templates to quilt on domestic machine?

Old 06-22-2016, 02:29 PM

I have the Versa Tool by Handi Quilter that I use with my Juki TL2010. It does take a little getting use to hanging on to the quilt and ruler together, but I do like it and expect it will become easier the more I use it. I think if the tool is small enough (compared to LA ruler) then it will be easier to handle. Here is a video.

https://www.handiquilter.com/videos/handi-gadgets/5/
Old 06-22-2016, 04:29 PM

I have practiced with the same ruler foot you are looking at and played around it is fun. I am still learning to be more proficient in FMQ so haven't tried it on a quilt yet. The craftsy classes are awesome as well as the patsy thompson DVD. They both show a wide variety of templates and techniques
Old 06-22-2016, 04:40 PM

I have only been quilting 6 years now, but am always trying to improve my quilting and do fancier designs on my Brother Innov-is, NX-2000. I love the ruler foot & templates! I also took the Craftsy class on it & found it very inspirational.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have been quilting for a very long time and I don't see how these work on a DSM. You have to move the quilt and hold onto the template at the same time.
This is exactly my question! the deal seems to be that even to use a plain old straight-edge ruler, you have to move both quilt and ruler in unison or OOPS.

How can you do that? Do you tape the outside of the ruler to the quilt? The videos look nice, but they don't explain how the template ruler stays put!
Old 06-23-2016, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
This is exactly my question! the deal seems to be that even to use a plain old straight-edge ruler, you have to move both quilt and ruler in unison or OOPS.

How can you do that? Do you tape the outside of the ruler to the quilt? The videos look nice, but they don't explain how the template ruler stays put!
The Westalee rulers have this tack thingy that is kind of like a giant earring (front & back, back clicks into place). It holds it on the one end with a rotating axis. You just put pressure on the other. It is a skill, no doubt, but somehow thousands of quilters around the world have managed to figure it out & are making beautiful quilts. I've seen them in use & keep going back and forth on whether to get one myself. Really lovely results, but I just wasn't sure I loved the motifs. BUT ... now they have come out with the Mini Fills collection & that is just really, really tempting. No marking quilts ahead of time??? Sign me up!

EDIT: I just watched a minifill video online & I guess it's only their Spin Sensations line with the clip in thingy.

Last edited by Bree123; 06-23-2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

I found a Facebook group that uses the rulers. Beautiful quilting!
Old 06-23-2016, 03:45 PM

You put some tacky tape on the back of the rulers and they grip the fabric just like the machingers that you wear on your hands when doing regular fmq. I've been doing ruler work at my domestic sit down sewing machines for years and love it, the ruler is like an extension of your hand, it really is just as easy as doing regular fmq.

rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 06-24-2016, 03:57 AM

I have a new Janome 6500 and have looked at the convertible feet on Amazon. Can someone send me a link to the one they bought? Thank you.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:04 AM

I have that ruler set and love it! It is not hard, but like anything else it has a learning curve.My quilting is so much better with the rulers. Someone in an earlier post mentioned using a plain straight edge ruler, but that is not the same as the quilting rulers. The rulers in the set are made to a special thickness and used with a ruler foot so the ruler doesn't slide under the needle. Some of them have handles you hold onto as you move the ruler with the fabric.
They are a bit pricey, but worth it if you do your own FMQing on a domestic machine.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:24 AM

So glad you posted this, and have read all the responses so far. I was startled at the price, and kept wondering if acrylic templates sold for children's drawings would also work. My biggest problem with doing something like this, is just sitting down and doing it. So far I have not looked at any of the videos.