Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Suz

KK, what is the 'fatcat' site? I just did fatcat.com and did get a quilting site.
Thanks. Suz
Old 11-10-2010, 03:45 PM

http://fatcatpatterns.com it's a wonderful sight
Old 11-10-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Why would applying by machine be any less "real" than applying by hand? Applique means "to apply" in French. Just as machine piecing and machine quilting are just as real as hand pieceing and hand quilting, machine applique is just as real.
It's not that it isn't 'real', it's just that, to me, the hand applique looks so much better. There is such a difference. That being said, when I do dogs, that's not something that is elegant and the raw edge applique 'fits' the project.
I do admire the hand stuff, though.
I,too, love the look of hand applique'. but there are some methods for machine applique' that have you really looking close to see how it is done--hand or machine. the method where you sew to solvy, of some light-weight interfacing, then cut the facing a slit & turn the whole thing right side out (bet this is clear as mud, sorry) is really good. then you just blind stitch with your machine along the edge.
I think maybe Eleanor Burns teaches it. (that Eleanor, as long as she has been teaching, she still always has something new or pertinent to today's quilting !)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:38 PM

Here is my latest applique, I need to know how to iron it, it got passed around guild and needs it desperately, how do I do it w/o squishing the applique? Then I will do the embroidery on it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-123476.jpe  
Old 11-10-2010, 05:13 PM

kwiltcrazy LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! I can imagine what it's going to look like after you embroider It.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Suz

Use a terry towel and lay the applique facing the towel, pressing from the backside. Use a little steam. This will prevent the applique from flattening.

Do we know the difference between ironing and pressing? Ironing is the old fashioned rubbing back and forth. Pressing is to set the iron down, no scrubbing; lift the iron and placing it down again. No scrubbing. Therefore, no distortion.

Suzanne
Old 11-10-2010, 05:17 PM

I am so glad you like it. Its 3-d, the flowers at the top middle open up and will have stamens in there along with the bell flowers, and the pansy needs its face put on. And, the bluette gets yellow french knots, will post it in a day or two.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Suz

When making skinny stems, prepare and stitch your preferred method. Then, using a tapestry needle and yarn, fill the stem with yarn for a 3-dimensional look by inserting the needle on the backside and pushing along inside the stem. Looks fantastic!! Suzanne
Old 11-11-2010, 04:06 AM

Your work looks really nice! To iron, just put an old piece of cotton batting, or a thick towel...something like that on your ironing board. Mine is two layers of warm and natural batting and an old sheet on top. Then turn your appliqued piece over and press from the back side. Use a little steam if you have to and a pressing (up and down) motion rather than an ironing (side to side) motion. This will work for most types of applique.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Suz
Don't know why, but again I am several pages behing. The little box is checked, but today was the first I received an email stating there was activity here. Anyhow . . . .

Lorli, please tell us about this board, size, padded? How exactly are you using it?

Suzanne
Suz I have been having that problem [not getting e-mail notifications for messages] off & on for a few weeks. Thought it was just me.