Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique questions >

Applique questions

Applique questions

Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 PM

In directions for a 12 days of Christmas quilt it says that:

1. Cut down fabric to only what shows. That is if you have a bird that has a wing appliqued on top of the body that you cut the body down under where the wing goes so there is only 3/16 " to go under the wing.

2. The fusible web center should be cut out to only what is need to hold down the piece. That is , if it was a ball you would cut the center out of the web so the web looks more like a doughnut.

I have only appliqued one small wall hanging, not a quilt size wall hanging. When I made the wall hanging I did not do the above. all pieces where full as was the fusible web.

So which way do you do it??
Old 09-14-2011, 01:52 PM

doing all that saves on bulk and lumpy seams, i've done it both ways (like this and not cutting anything out) and didn't really notice enough difference to worry about it
Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 PM

The part about cutting the center out of the fusible web does make a difference in how the finished piece looks. If you leave it whole, it ends of "pasted" to the background. If you cut the center out before pressing, it has a nice little "puff" to the middle of it and looks more like it was hand sewn.

I like the cutting out, known as "windowing", the fusible. I like the result much better. Also keeps the quilt top softer overall.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:03 PM
KR

Cutting the middle out of the fusible is nice for quilts that will be used. When only the edges of the fused shapes are bonded there is less stiffness to the shape. I don't see that it makes much difference for wall hangings, but more experienced folk may say otherwise.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

its your project- do it with the technique you prefer.
cutting out the excess fusable cuts down on the stiffness- and trimming cuts down on bulk- but it is not necessary if you would rather not =
i pretty much never (window) my fusable- i cover the whole piece- i like it that way-
i trim overlapped pieces to a size i am comfortable with- i don't measure- i cut it out making sure some will be under the piece it's supposed to be without fraying-
there are no hard rules- you can use any technique you want on your project....often we love a pattern- buy it- read it- and decide- well i can do that===this way instead of that way--- nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:04 PM

I agree with ckcowl. I window pieces or I don't window depending on what works for me at the time.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 PM

Yikes! I keep getting double posts!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Do you have a favorite webbing for a large wall hanging? I have some "lite steam-a-Seam" is that OK or do I need something else? I will be working with mostly cottons but might add velvets or other materials. This will be used as a wall hanging not a quilt. Its finished size is 48 x 51.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:59 AM

steam a seam lite is good