Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle breaking with fmq..weird hollow pop sound..and a bit o' whine... >

Needle breaking with fmq..weird hollow pop sound..and a bit o' whine...

Needle breaking with fmq..weird hollow pop sound..and a bit o' whine...

Old 09-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Hi all,
Well, now that the ratty bird nesting seems to be gone, I am having trouble with my needle breaking during my fmq...I started with Schmetz 80, then went to Klasse' 80, on to Klasse' 90, and finally back to the Schmetz 80...yep, 3 broken, finished the project with the 4th one still intact...I am fairly new to fmq...and very new with my new Brother PQ1500 machine. I was running the machine pretty slow, and thought I wasn't pulling on the quilt either...actually my stitches seemed too small..like machine too fast for speed I was moving the quilt...any ideas? What size needle do you all mainly use? This machine does not have speed control, so I have to try and regulate that with my foot pedal only, where my other machine has 3 speeds...I think I am going to order a speed control for it, but before I do, am wondering if it would be worth ordering one with a stitch regulator?? Hmmm...I just want to be able to fmq so badly...and I really feel like I have been practicing quite a bit, but I am sure it is not enough...thanks for ya'll's help, and listening to my bit o' whine... :wink:
K
Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 PM

I have the Brother 1500, for free motion I use a 14, think that might be 90/14?? You need one with a sharp point , like universal, or quilting machine needle. What brand are you using?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 PM

Machine quilting thread can vary by the brand you use. I often use a Metallic Needle 80/12, straight 90/14 or a Top Stitch 80/12. The top stitch and metellac are a smaller needle with a big eye. I like these as they don't leave a big puncture hold like a regular 14 or 16 will. Breaking the needle could come from not moving fast enough for the speed you are running or some thread nest somewhere in the bobbin area. If you can run your machine at a lower speed, try that until you get better coordinated. I am sure your FM stitches are just fine. I bet I have practiced for 4 years and this year is my first to FM on something I don't want to wreck and it turned out quite alright. If you can buy a stitch control for your machine, you are lucky but they aren't really necessary. You will surprise yourself real soon when that day everything comes together.
Good luck and show us some pictures of your progress.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:24 PM

I feel your pain. I once broke 19 needles making a rag quilt of old blue jean patches. Needless to say, I have never made another one and I tried every heavy duty and not so heavy duty needle I had. . . I hope you won't give up. I wouldn't have but I used up my jeans scraps! LOL! Maybe there is a FMQ'er here who has the perfect answer for you! HUGS!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

If you are breaking needles, it's because the needle hasn't come totally out of the fabric before the fabric is moved. This either puts enough stress on the needle that it breaks, or the needle is slightly deflected and it hits the plate.
It could be you are moving the fabric too quickly, or the foot you are using isn't holding the fabric down enough, or you are holding the fabric too loosely. What kind of foot are you using? A spring foot (hopping foot) works well. It holds the fabric tight when making the stitch then releases it so it can be moved.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
If you are breaking needles, it's because the needle hasn't come totally out of the fabric before the fabric is moved. This either puts enough stress on the needle that it breaks, or the needle is slightly deflected and it hits the plate.
It could be you are moving the fabric too quickly, or the foot you are using isn't holding the fabric down enough, or you are holding the fabric too loosely. What kind of foot are you using? A spring foot (hopping foot) works well. It holds the fabric tight when making the stitch then releases it so it can be moved.
Actually it seems that my foot is not hopping on this machine like on my pc-420...I kind of am noticing like a hollow "pop" kind of sound when stitching...hmmm...I don't think there is another way to attach the foot...I have 3 different free motion feet...I have tried 2 of them...but I was thinking that "hollow" sound is not normal...and I don't think that the foot IS holding the fabric down...I mean I know it is free motion, and that it shouldn't be tight under the foot, but it just seems odd...Thanks all of ya'll for helping and listening...
Old 09-14-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mhollifiel
I feel your pain. I once broke 19 needles making a rag quilt of old blue jean patches. Needless to say, I have never made another one and I tried every heavy duty and not so heavy duty needle I had. . . I hope you won't give up. I wouldn't have but I used up my jeans scraps! LOL! Maybe there is a FMQ'er here who has the perfect answer for you! HUGS!
Thanks...I won't give up...I can't...I just want to be able to do this sooo bad..and I have several quilts waiting for me to quilt them...I have been just going back to hand quilting, but I don't want to always do that...and dh has been so supportive, saying I should get whatever I need...oh yeah, I have some jean scraps I would be happy to share....lol...
Old 09-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

Are you using the wide throat plate and not the single hole throat plate? That will give the needle more room to move as you move the quilt. Did you put the foot lever down even though you have a darning or quilting foot on? On my old machine that did not have speed control, I thought about taping a little piece of wood to the back of my foot pedal so it would only depress so far (at a good free motion speed). Make sure you have the quilt level with the machine bed so there is no drag on the quilt. Get yourself a pair of Machinger gloves they really helped me.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 PM

Definitely try a topstitching needle, I use size 14 with my Juki.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kiffie2413
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
If you have a hopping foot fitted ,I think you should still have the presser lever down and it's this that enables the hopping foot to hold the fabric down.

Actually it seems that my foot is not hopping on this machine like on my pc-420...I kind of am noticing like a hollow "pop" kind of sound when stitching...hmmm...I don't think there is another way to attach the foot...I have 3 different free motion feet...I have tried 2 of them...but I was thinking that "hollow" sound is not normal...and I don't think that the foot IS holding the fabric down...I mean I know it is free motion, and that it shouldn't be tight under the foot, but it just seems odd...Thanks all of ya'll for helping and listening...