Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle breaking with fmq..weird hollow pop sound..and a bit o' whine... >

Needle breaking with fmq..weird hollow pop sound..and a bit o' whine...

Needle breaking with fmq..weird hollow pop sound..and a bit o' whine...

Old 09-15-2011, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

what foot are you using?? and is it a new needle? if you can't figure it out, call your dealer and ask.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 AM

You have to have a table in order to use a stitch regulator.
My machine is the same as the Brother 1500 and have had problems getting it normalized. Just got it a couple of weeks ago.
Found it likes Coats and Clarks machine quilting thread the best. It has to be threaded perfect, and the bobbins has to have the same thread in it as the top thread. Needle has to be in perfect also. Keep the lint cleaned out. Use the needles reccomended in the instruction book.
Love my stitch regulator. But set up on a table you have to thread it sideways and walk around the table just to lift the needle with the wheel.
Now that it is working right will not reset anything, it is just for free motion sewing, I have other machines for piecing.
Your settings for free motion have to be just right also.
I set my stitch length to 3 and played with the tension dial till it worked perfect.
Right now it is working great but still breaks thread once in a while.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
You have to have a table in order to use a stitch regulator.
My machine is the same as the Brother 1500 and have had problems getting it normalized. Just got it a couple of weeks ago.
Found it likes Coats and Clarks machine quilting thread the best. It has to be threaded perfect, and the bobbins has to have the same thread in it as the top thread. Needle has to be in perfect also. Keep the lint cleaned out. Use the needles reccomended in the instruction book.
Love my stitch regulator. But set up on a table you have to thread it sideways and walk around the table just to lift the needle with the wheel.
Now that it is working right will not reset anything, it is just for free motion sewing, I have other machines for piecing.
Your settings for free motion have to be just right also.
I set my stitch length to 3 and played with the tension dial till it worked perfect.
Right now it is working great but still breaks thread once in a while.
Thanks for all of the suggestions...My dh is building me a frame as I type this, but I have been trying to get used to the machine and using it on a table that he made for me that fits this machine...I have used new needles (obviously, with all the breakage), tried different threads, made sure the bobbin and top threads are the same, and used the proper free motion feet (tried 2 so far), and made sure the lever was down...only one throat plate to use, so can't change that...I will try the settings you mention...and, I am like you, this machine is for fmq only..I also have other machines I can use for the rest...

Thanks again to all of you, I guess I will just keep trying, and try and not get too frustrated...yesterday when the 3rd needle broke, I just took another huge deep breath...replaced the needle...did a bit more fmq...released held breath when needle did NOT break, then turned it off, and walked away for a bit...
Kif
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 AM

I broke a couple of needles at first and still dont know what I did wrong but was very careful putting in the last needle and so far hasnt broken. Make sure there is no lint in bobbin area. I bought the Schmetz 75/11 quilting needles and broke 2 of them after breaking the needle in the machine. It came with a bunch of Chinese needles that are written in Chinese.
My table is an Imperial and it took the guy who makes a living putting quilting tables togather 6 hrs to put it all togather. Million screws and parts.
I wanted a table that will hold a long arm machine if I ever win the lottery.