Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
argggggh!!  I give up! >

argggggh!! I give up!

argggggh!! I give up!

Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 AM

Graduating from Boot Camp is different from college and it is very exciting, not boring. And to really be a fuddy-duddy, breakfast is also out. They usually can't leave the base til the ceremony is over, so lunch or dinner after would be appropriate if you are in town. Usually family is not lucky enough to be close the base. A lot of families have a big to-do when they get leave before they move on to the next phase of their training. That is when we had a BIG party at home and he got all the Congrat presents!! Making a cover for the book would be an awesome additional gift. Try some of the suggestions before you give up entirely.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
Why not take her out for lunch or breakfast to celebrate graduation? Graduations are not the least bit thrilling to me and i have a BS and MS. I think if I got another degree, I would skip the ceremony... I am sure she will love the atlas. BTW. why not a pillowcase with the theme? I think it is a cool idea and she would use the pillowcase more.
I think this a great idea! The atlas will be sentimental if you inscribe it, but I'm sure most kids these days get their information online. And she would see and use the pillowcase every day .
Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 AM

such a thoughtful gift.. you will come up with something just perfect also to give it in... thanks for sharing and hope your day now will less stressful.. jut relax and enjoy
Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM

I use Printed Treasures fabric and print what I want to say directly onto the fabric. My Epson printer uses durabrite ink which is waterproof. Then I sew the printed fabric on.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:14 PM

I think I'd embroider it. Maybe you've got a friend who could help you out with that. If not, I'd be glad to do it if you want to mail it to GA. My son has been in the AF for 15 years and has been in Italy for 2 years. It's a good career if you don't mind moving around.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:41 PM

I like AZ Jane's idea of giving her the cover later. I have been working with Peltex making some mobiles. This is what I do.
1. Cut your Peltex to the size you want it to cover the Atlas.
2. Cut your background fabric to fit your Peltex...I cover both sides...and then put fusible on the back side.
3. Trace your "Oh, the places you'll go" on to the smooth side of the fusible and then fuse it to the fabric you have chosen for your letters
4. Cut them out, and place them on your front cover (play with where you want to put them before you take the paper off)
5. Fuse the letters to the front cover
6. I use the blanket stitch on my machine to outline the design. And you are done.

Good luck, and good luck to your granddaughter on her travels.