Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ask the experts >

Ask the experts

Ask the experts

Old 10-28-2014, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by okie2tx View Post
I enrolled in an online class at Craftsy called Creative Quilting with Your Walking Foot by Jacquie Gerig and she used her walking foot to do some decorative stitches. (simple decorative stitches and waves) She stressed to go slow. The class was awesome!
That's good info. Thanks. Slow? Ha. Not in my vocabulary when I'm quilting straight across the quilt. I have the speed wide open. I'll have to give that a go.
And I'll look into the class. I really want to be able to use the decorative stitches to quilt for charity. It looks nice and also makes it more durable.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I'm not doing FMQ. Just using a built in stitch. It has a little bit of a swirl to it. It would be ok if it stretched some, but it is totally getting out of shape.
The batting is polyester. I actually thought of that. But I buy the batting in huge rolls at a discount to use for charity quilts. The thing is I've been using it for years.
I really think I have a lemon of a machine. It has caused me nothing but grief. Sucking the joy out of quilting. There are days I'm ready to throw it out the window. today is one of them.
As silly as this may sound, try checking your presser foot pressure. Mine is adjustable and solved the same kind of issue. Your fabric and batting layers are thicker than normal so it takes more room to move everything together. Your walking foot, has to have room to make each little leap to advance the fabric. If it doesn't lift enough for everything to move, everything gets scooted instead of advanced, resulting in what is happening to you. Also, you must slow down to use a walking foot, especially if your machine, like mine, says you must! Sewing fast with some walking feet can also be a real hazard since they can actually be rattled apart by fast sewing, causing the needle to strike them and sending needle parts flying! I wear glasses to sew but if you don't , the risk is not worth it. Good luck dear.

Last edited by madamekelly; 10-28-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 AM

Slow go and never backwards with a walking foot!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I always use polyester batting for FMQ or Walking foot.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:03 PM

Try decreasing your tension, sometimes a decorative stitch on a quilt will pull if your tension is off, also if your machine will allow decrease the pressure on the foot. Try on a scrape with batting and backing and see how this works.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 AM

I suggest that you loosen the tension on your machine.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:14 AM

You might contact where you bought the machine from. They might know what to do.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:20 AM

this is what I do and it works well for me....after I have sandwiched all the layers and basically i only pin around the outside edge of the quilt all the way around....then I iron it...the back and the front....you will see how much more excess fabric you have then you thought.....then re-pin...I just use an open toe foot for the quilting...have better luck then using a walking foot....good luck..hope this helps...
Old 11-04-2014, 06:44 AM

My walking foot allows me to use all decorative stitches which is great. Not all do. My question is, did you put the arm that is on the walking foot on the needle screw. If it isn't put on the right way it won't feed the fabric thru right. You can also do adhesive spray to help hold the fabric down and then try to only put your pins where you don't think you'll be sewing. I'd check to see that the walking foot is put on correctly because it sounds like it isn't doing its job.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:55 AM

I have the Janome 6600 with the built in accufeed--similar to a walking foot. I have used a fewdecorative stitches with success but they all move forward. My favorite is a serpentine stitch. On my machine it is mode 2 #29. I have also done a little flower stitch sand I forget the others.

I practiced the ones I wanted to use on a small quilt sandwich and then wrote the numbers down that were successful.