Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
attempt at a folded wreath >

attempt at a folded wreath

attempt at a folded wreath

Old 10-12-2016, 06:49 PM

Actually it looks like you did most of it just fine! However, I think there are a couple things you can do next time. First, you needed more contrast in your fabrics, as they tend to blend together making it seem like one fabric. Also, you did not add the five inch appliqué square ( the pink on this wreath) under the roll to make it look like the wreath has a binding(the yellow...which is the "front" piece according to the pattern). Also, when you sew your corners together to make the roll, yours look a little bit pinched. I try to sew the points of the corner together (kind of side by side) so they don't stick up into a vertical point...in other words they are flat. That's why I was able to attach the buttons on each.
You are doing just fine! The first one is always the hardest, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be addicted to making them. Tomorrow I'm making my 11th one...a Christmas theme for display at my LQS!
Attached Thumbnails img_4245.jpg   img_4246.jpg  
Old 10-13-2016, 04:46 AM

I agree you need more contrast, but you need a good stabilizer for it to stand up properly I tore misbehaving up on a clip hanger( like for pants).
Old 10-13-2016, 05:10 AM

Grandma Mary, your wreath is lovely. Thank you for the tips. I made two sections of the wreath yesterday to practice, I like your join better than mine and also the stitching next to the border on the pink is a great idea.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:17 AM

This is mine I used 3,fabrics and bosal foam stiffener.
Attached Thumbnails img_0924.jpg  
Old 10-13-2016, 07:28 AM

Thanks for responses. I agree about the fabric choice; will do differently next time. Grandma Mary, I love your topper and luvrazz yours too. Need better stabilizer too, and there is no button on mine, and just did what she did on tut; didn't have time to find any. Grandma Mary, did you buy the pattern or use the one on the utube tutorial? Maybe I just need to break down and buy the pattern. Luvrazz, did you glue those little beads on or what? Thanks again everyone; great responses.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:31 AM

I recently made this wreath without buttons and my ends came to a point. The way the instructions say to finish it (zig zag stitch) makes the ends come to a point. If I make another and add buttons, I will overlap and make the surface flat so I can add the decorative buttons.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:07 AM

you tube babs my fiery phoenix has a nice how to video it helped me a lot
Old 10-13-2016, 11:50 AM

I visited my LQS today and I noticed their fabric wreaths used a foam stabilizer and the center was large enough to serve as a candle holder. I love your fabrics.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I agree with others to add buttons on top of points. Also the Bosai stabilizer is quite expensive (IMHO). I think a very stiff iron-on stabilizer attached to some batting would give the same effect. Also if you're going to mail it, I would put TP rolls under flaps to keep it from getting crushed.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Stopped in at my local quilt shop and they were having a class. I signed up for the next one next week. It will be worth the $30 to do it right.