Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aurifil Thread for quilting??? >

Aurifil Thread for quilting???

Aurifil Thread for quilting???

Old 04-26-2016, 02:27 AM

Default Aurifil Thread for quilting???

I can not find a thread color I need to quilt part of a quilt. But I do have it in the Aurifil 50wt thread. Has any one quilted with it on a domestic? How was the wear?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:38 AM

I've used it a lot.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:41 AM

I use 50 weight all of the time. I have not had any problems with the wear. My quilts quilted with Aurifil are all less than 6 years old.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:47 AM

I'm not sure what you usually use. I now always use either Aurifil 40wt or 50wt for quilting (or on very rare occasion 28wt) because I had problems with other threads. It is an extremely strong, high quality thread. Aurifil is made with extra long staple cotton (mako), the strongest cotton fiber that exists. I make baby quilts with it that get washed on a weekly basis & have no problems at all. Mako cotton is designed to go at least 50 years before showing even the slightest loss of strength, and even then it will only be a very small loss of tensile strength. That is to say, compared to every other natural fiber thread on the market, it is designed to last the longest.

I quilt with it all the time. I'm now starting to prefer the heavier weight Aurifil threads because I like my quilting to show up more. 50wt in any brand will blend in more. Since Aurifil is a 2-ply thread, it will sink into the fabric even more than the 3-ply threads that are more commonly found. It quilts beautifully, but if you are matching the color to the background fabric it will not show up much from a distance.

EDIT: I quilt on a DSM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:04 AM

Use it all of the time in a variety of weights. I have never had problems whether on the top or in the bobbin. I most often use 50 weight in the bobbin and maybe a 40 or 28 weight on the top for emphasis on the quilting design.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

I use to only quilt with 50 weight Mettler Silk finish because when I bought my 1530, that is the thread the dealership recommended. But recently, I have been using Aurifil for my piecing and quilting. Very good quality thread. My Bernina likes it too.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:01 AM

Two-ply thread isn't as strong 3-ply, so I've only used Aurifil for applique. I stick to 3-ply threads for piecing and quilting.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the info in this case I do not care if it shows or not. The quilt is a gift to a high school senior boy and want it to last a few years. Once before I used 50wt DMC to quilt a quilt and had to repair twice (DSIL) because the threads gave out in the quilting. I have never had trouble with piecing and love the lighter weight threads!!!
Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 AM

G-
DMC is an embroidery thread & they are designed to be the thinnest threads on the market. As a result, they need extra special care & even at that, I probably still wouldn't use them for quilting. If you do, you want to stick to an embroidery needle -- size 75/11 or 80/12. It's not ideal for quilting, but will keep the thread from fraying on the eye. You need to make sure to swap in a fresh needle more often (I'd go every 4-6 hours), to oil your machine regularly, and depending on the spool, you may need to add a washer underneath to keep the thread from getting caught between the bottom of the spool & your machine.

Aurifil is not nearly as frail as the DMC machine embroidery thread. I use a 70/10 or 80/12 Microtex or quilting needle (my favorite is 70/10 Microtex). I put thread on sideways spool pin and remove the disc from the spool so I only need the tiniest spool pin cap. Thread should pull from the underneath side. I use the same thread top & bobbin. I clean with dusting brush and put a tiny drop of oil on my bobbin case every time I change the bobbin. For laundering, you don't want to ever wash in hot water or dry on high heat as heat will cause the thread to crackle and eventually fray & break. In an ideal world, quilts would be either hand washed or machine washed in top-loading washer on gentle cycle with a dye-free detergent (no bleach; no fabric softener ... both of those weaken cotton fibers). Then, either lay flat to dry; or lay flat for first 30 minutes, then put in dryer on low heat until mostly (90%) dry & laid out flat to dry the rest of the way. Personally, I only have so many hours in the day so I wash mine on gentle cycle on cold with Tide Free, and then dry completely in dryer on low heat. Unfortunately, if it's going off to college where you pay by the minute for using the dryers, it's likely to be dried on High heat. Best bet is to encourage him to bring it home to be laundered. Be sure to put his name on it (ideally stitched, not just on a label) as I know a couple of people on my dorm floor had their quilts stolen. One found her quilt, but couldn't prove it was hers because the label was cut off. Maybe keep a photo of it, too.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:01 AM

I never had luck quilting with aurifil, mine broke quite frequently. I only use king tut for quilting with cotton, it never shreds like other brands do