Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Quilt - Batting??? Your Suggestions? >

Baby Quilt - Batting??? Your Suggestions?

Baby Quilt - Batting??? Your Suggestions?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Default Baby Quilt - Batting??? Your Suggestions?

I am I the process of making a baby quilt for a friend. The quilt will be finished pillowcase style (no binding) and will be tied. Blocks will finish at 5-1/2 inch square. What would you suggest for the center...batting? Flannel? Maybe something else?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:43 PM

There is polyester batting that is suitable for 5-1/2" spaces between ties. Make sure to read the label, as it will tell you the minimum spacing required.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:08 PM

I always like to use natural fabrics for babies and have used flannel successfully as a batting in many baby quilts.

It is a nice weight for bubs and not hot and sweaty.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:46 PM

I was told never to use polyester batting for a baby quilt just in case of a fire. Probably over thinking it but just a thought. I have used the special child batting for a very nervous first time mother but usually flannel (so it's too heavy)
Old 09-02-2013, 04:46 PM

I usually make blankets (2 layers) for a baby and not a quilt (3 layers). I use 100% cotton on the front and flannel for the back. New moms seem to like the blankets that way and it makes them less bulky to wash.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:03 PM

Plain white/off white flannel is my favorite batting for baby quilts. It's light weight, breathes, washes beautifully and has such a wonderful "drape" ... just wraps around the babies little bits and pieces without weird "folds" that you get with most batting. Plus ... because it's a weave, you can put your ties fairly far apart without risk of "batting migration".
Old 09-02-2013, 07:23 PM

I have only made one baby quilt so I don't have a lot of experience, but I can tell you that I love the softness of the quilt. I used 100% cotton white batting. I've never tried white flannel, but that's a thought too.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:17 AM
Power Poster

if you choose a batting choose one that says on the package- 'suitable for tied quilts' not all batting choices are- ones that need to be quilted every 2-4" will pull apart, ball up & become quite horrible in a wash or 2. you need a batting that says it is suitable. warm & natural is an ok cotton choice- dream poly is a nice one too- depends on how 'lofty' you want the quilt to be- I generally make 2 for family members having a new baby- one *flat* one with a flannel center and one fluffy/cozy/lofty one usually that one is the one on the floor-nice padding --- the comment about not using poly for baby quilts...yes, if it caught fire the batting would probably melt---if a cotton one catches fire it may burst into flames...(what is the lesser of those evils?) better to avoid fire-than worry about that- polyester batting makes nice baby/kids quilts mainly because it washes up very well & will take a beating and last for many years. there are lots of great battings on the market- just find one that is good for tied quilts (in some minds tied are more dangerous for babies than which batting is used-choking hazard)
Old 09-03-2013, 02:35 AM

Quilter's Dream makes a product called Dream Angel especially for baby quilts because it is made of NATURALLY flame retardant fibers. It can be quilted up to 6" apart so I would think that would make it suitable for tying as well. I have switched and am now using it in all my baby quilts.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The MAIN reason I don't use polyester batting or fabrics in baby quilts is because they are too hot. For tiny babies this may be a problems as they don't regulate their temperatures well. Cotton or even wool are better, safer options, in my opinion.

Jan in VA