Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Essential Cotton Thread - thoughts?

Essential Cotton Thread - thoughts?

I would like anyone's opinions on the Essential Cotton Thread that Connecting Threads sells. Do you use it for piecing, quilting, both? I just got their catalog and the colors are so pretty...

You will get mixed reviews on CT threads. We use it for piecing and for quilting - as a matter of fact, it's all we use. We have several of the colors for quilting, but mostly use the "Natural" to piece. It creates a lot of lint, but we clean at every bobbin change, so it is not a problem for us. Some don't like the lint, and some have said they get "blobs" in the thread. I've never had a "blob," at least not one that caused any problem with my machine. I love the color selection, the amount you get on a spool, and the price. And, if you order $50, shipping is free. I would recommend you order a couple of spools and give it a try.

Blog Entries
    I used it for a while and as Wesing said, found it linty and somewhat blobby. I switched to Bottom Line.

Blog Entries
    It's been well over ten years since I tried CT essential cotton thread. It created a lot more lint for me than the thread I had been using, which was Mettler silk-finish cotton. Years later, once I tried Aurifil, I quit using Mettler because Aurifil creates a lot less lint than Mettler.

My thinking is that the more lint there is, the more will get blown back into my machine where I can't get at it. Where I live, a simple professional cleaning and tune-up costs well over $100. My machine cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,000 fifteen years ago. I figure paying more money for good-quality thread, such as Aurifil 50wt 2-ply, is worth it to me. My machine still purrs like a kitten and I haven't taken it in for a professional cleaning in at least ten years. Aurifil not only creates less lint, it also gives me more accurate seams. Plus, because Aurifil is a fine thread, the bobbin holds more and I need to refill the bobbin less often. Aurifil 50wt 2-ply works great for both piecing and quilting on my domestic machine.

Everyone's situation is different, of course. For me, it just seems to be more cost-effective to use better quality thread. I'm happier, my machine is happier, and I consider it preventive maintenance (similar to using top-grade motor oil in a car!).

I do a lot of charity quilting and use CT threads for all that work, piecing and the quilting. I use Aurifil for precision piecing. Agree CT is linty but I can clean out every bobbin or 2 so it does not build up. The only thing I hate, when they have their sales and the regular size spools are $1.79, they always run out of neutrals within a few hours and it is often WEEKS for them to receive new stock.

Linty, blobby and thick. Not my preferred thread.

I love it. Yes, it's a bit linty, but it's inexpensive and strong. I use it for ALL my quilts.

I use it and love it. I have a Bernina and find its really not anymore "linty" than others I have used. I clean my Bobbin area and case everytime I fill my Bobbin anyway no matter what thread I would use. Just good maintenance. I piece and quilt with it. Love all the colors, and at that price I can afford to match my thread to my fabric color.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    I use it and love it. I have a Bernina and find its really not anymore "linty" than others I have used. I clean my Bobbin area and case everytime I fill my Bobbin anyway no matter what thread I would use. Just good maintenance. I piece and quilt with it. Love all the colors, and at that price I can afford to match my thread to my fabric color.
    Couldn't have said it better....

Blog Entries
    I found it linty, and switched to Aurifil. Recently I started taking Leah Day online classes, she uses polyester/blends and I have started using them. If the bobbin is linty, imagine what is building up in the machine!!
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    I piece with it and use it in the bobbin for quilting often- I clean my bobbin area with each bobbin change anyway- and find it no more 'linty' than a lot of other threads most of the time- and depending on what I am using on top may not get lint hardly at all. (like paired with aurifil, invisible, polyester or silk thread)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I agree with prism99, I tried ET and it wa too linty, LOve Aurifil and use that most of the time.

I like it but I am a new piecer and have not tried a lot of other thread. I clean my whole bobbin area completely after I finish each quilt and change needle. I have found lint but I figure that is just a common problem of the hobby

Blog Entries
    I use Connecting Threads Pro Poly on the cone. It's not linty and it is size 70. I like a thin thread for piecing. And the 70 wt makes great bobbin thread. I can't tell the difference using it in the bobbin then Bottom Line, Finishing Touch, or Aurifil 60. I've used the Essential thread and never noticed any blobs. It's great for vintage machines. My old Singers I can use any thread, even crochet thread.
    Got fabric?

I like Superior Threads products. Masterpiece for quilting and any and all of the other's for quilting. I prefer Fil-Tec's Glide for glossy thread.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I use it all the time and for several reasons. 1. It isn't expensive 2. Wide variety of colors 3. I can get basic colors on a cone as well as smaller spool. 4. It is strong thread. 5. It shows up well for fmq. I order their thread every time it goes on sale, so I usually have whatever color I need.

I use it all the time. I buy when it's on sale, and usually get several different colors. I also love Aerifil (Can't spell today), but it is fairly expensive so I usually get neutral colors. I like to sew my blocks with a neutral color and never have a problem with it showing. I agree that CT is kind of linty, but it doesn't take much to clean the machine.
    Sue

I have used it, it is a bit linty but other than that it is ok.

Senior Member SlightlyOffQuilter's Avatar
    I really love the ET Threads, it is more a matter of machine preference then anything. My Brother machine LOVES it, my Janome tolerates it and my Singer hates it ! To solve the lint issue I made a little tube out of scrap fabric that fits over the hook on my thread stand so the thread runs over the fabric and gets " de-linted " before it even gets to my machine !
    If you ever see a quilt without any flaws, rest assured that I did not make it ! http://slightlyoffquilter.com

Quote Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
    To solve the lint issue I made a little tube out of scrap fabric that fits over the hook on my thread stand so the thread runs over the fabric and gets " de-linted " before it even gets to my machine !
    What a great idea! This would work for any thread. Thanks for the tip!

I have been using this thread for quite a while (and some Coats) and I thought it was very linty in my Husq +1. Never noticed blobs. I have used premium threads very little so I had no comparison. I will probably continue to use it and just clean the machine very often. A professional cleaning requires shipping to Anchorage - not really a option very often. I wish someone here would learn how to work on sewing machines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
    I really love the ET Threads, it is more a matter of machine preference then anything. My Brother machine LOVES it, my Janome tolerates it and my Singer hates it ! To solve the lint issue I made a little tube out of scrap fabric that fits over the hook on my thread stand so the thread runs over the fabric and gets " de-linted " before it even gets to my machine !
    I'm going to try this. Thanks for the hint.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use the neutral colors for piecing and colors for quilting. I have tons of it and both me and my machine love it. Yes, it is a bit linty but that's easy to clean. None of my quilts are masterpieces so that thread works like a charm.

I have been very happy with Essential cotton thread. It is a little linty, but no more so than many others I've used. I also love the colors! I just ordered a whole bunch when it was on sale a couple of weeks ago. Can't beat the price.

I love Essential. It is affordable and comes in so many colors. I use it for piecing and for quilting charity quilts. Most of my art quilts I use Isacord polyester- but on bed quilts, I do like Essential.

It is linty, but not much more than other threads, I clean my machine regularly.

It is one of my favorite threads.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast