View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

It's been well over ten years since I tried CT essential cotton thread. It created a lot more lint for me than the thread I had been using, which was Mettler silk-finish cotton. Years later, once I tried Aurifil, I quit using Mettler because Aurifil creates a lot less lint than Mettler.

My thinking is that the more lint there is, the more will get blown back into my machine where I can't get at it. Where I live, a simple professional cleaning and tune-up costs well over $100. My machine cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,000 fifteen years ago. I figure paying more money for good-quality thread, such as Aurifil 50wt 2-ply, is worth it to me. My machine still purrs like a kitten and I haven't taken it in for a professional cleaning in at least ten years. Aurifil not only creates less lint, it also gives me more accurate seams. Plus, because Aurifil is a fine thread, the bobbin holds more and I need to refill the bobbin less often. Aurifil 50wt 2-ply works great for both piecing and quilting on my domestic machine.

Everyone's situation is different, of course. For me, it just seems to be more cost-effective to use better quality thread. I'm happier, my machine is happier, and I consider it preventive maintenance (similar to using top-grade motor oil in a car!).