Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby quilt. Somethings not quite right >

Baby quilt. Somethings not quite right

Baby quilt. Somethings not quite right

Old 06-17-2015, 06:57 PM

The background of the pinwheels is the same color as the ballernia's hair....so I think you could make it work. I would cut down some of the white around the ballerina, add the yellow dot fabric around the ballerina, and then have a white border around what you have. Not sure what should come after that, but some playing will have you ending up with a cute unique baby quilt.

Dina
Old 06-18-2015, 01:15 AM
Gay

May I suggest going with those beautiful pinks (to match the dress) on a white background. If you'd like another colour with that, some of that soft green in the top left pinwheel would go well.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:57 AM

One suggestion not made so far is to put the pinwheels on point. This would reduce the impact of the yellow/beige colour. The inner setting triangles could be white to match the centre, and the outer triangles something in pale pink if you have it. You may need to play around with the size of your panel (or the number of pinwheels) to make things fit since the on points will be larger, or inserting a wee border to match your outer triangles might work here.

Just another idea lol
Old 06-18-2015, 02:16 AM

Well, I guess I'm the odd one.....I like it as it is! After quilting, it should be just great! I've seen some quilt tops that I really didn't like because I didn't think the colors played well together, but after quilting, they were just gorgeous! Whatever you do, it will be a very pretty baby girl's quilt.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:25 AM

I would do like Gering B said I think you have a pretty baby quilt love the pinwheels just add a pink boarder
Old 06-18-2015, 03:49 AM

I love your ballerina!! I think maybe more of your pinks in the pinwheels and the inner border. I agree about the yellow/orange pinwheels.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
Trim the white center down just a little bit, add your yellow polka dot fabric as an inner border, then add your pinwheels. Lay it out - nothing to lose at this point.
This would be my suggestion as well. Before cutting anything though I think I would fold down the white ballerina and then lay in the yellow to get an idea. If the yellow polka dots don't work, perhaps you have some other yellows in your stash to make that work???
Old 06-18-2015, 05:10 AM

IMHO the colors around the panel are much too bright and totally detract from the ballerina. I would go with the pink fabrics.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:15 AM

I am having panel palsy right now, too. When I looked at the quilt before reading the narrative, I agreed with your statement, something's not quite right. I think the suggestions to make the pinwheels with white and absolutely rid the orange and use pinks, greens, yellows (watching the hue) would set everything off nicely. It will be a wonderful quilt and the dancer mom will be so pleased.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I would consider trimming the white in a narrow piece of the "yellow" in the pinwheels. Keeping the center the same size. Something like a 1" border around your little ballerina. Just a thought because it would take away from the stark contrast of the white and yellow in the pinwheels.