Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby quilt. Somethings not quite right >

Baby quilt. Somethings not quite right

Baby quilt. Somethings not quite right

Old 06-18-2015, 06:42 AM

I think to trim the white down ,so that it does not stand out so much.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:26 AM

I like the dark pink for a small border on the center panel, I would take out the yellow pinwheel and maybe add some pink dot fabric like the ballerina tutu? I love your applique so cute.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Personally, I think the yellow background on the pinwheel blocks may be what's off. As others have suggested, I would trim down the ballerina block about 1 1/2", then add a 1 1/2" darker pink fabric. I would also add more white and pink pinwheel blocks, I do like the multi-colored striped pinwheels. I would find a bright, colorful print fabric for the backing of the quilt. To me the ballerina is soft and delicate, so maybe it's the yellow and brighter colors that may see off. It's going to be an adorable quilt with that ballerina in the center block.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:09 PM

I also think there is too much white. I like the color of the lighter pink in the chevron rather than the darker pink. I also like your yellow polka dot. How about making multi colored prairie points for the inside of the pinwheels and have them pointing inward towards the ballerina? Another option. Leave white as is and put a few rectangle frames of large rickrack on it. Frames could be a couple of colors in the pinwheels. Another option. Cut white down a little and put a narrow border. Use prairie points on the outside and make some prairie points white.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522758[/ATTACH]

My way of using lots of color and white.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-18-2015, 01:23 PM

Working with what you have, I believe a couple borders, (the medium pink about 1/2 inch and then the dark pink an inch or 1.5 inches) and then use the pinwheels around to from them. The ballerina is adorable! And the pinwheels look fantastic - but it is the yellow that does seem to throw it off. (If you ever see the movie "How to Make An American Quilt" the yellow can be a problem in a lot of quilts.)

Let us see what you ultimately decide.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
Well, I guess I'm the odd one.....I like it as it is! After quilting, it should be just great! I've seen some quilt tops that I really didn't like because I didn't think the colors played well together, but after quilting, they were just gorgeous! Whatever you do, it will be a very pretty baby girl's quilt.
You know, I hadn't thought about the quilting. I think you're right. Pale variegated thread would work.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 PM

I think it has too much white, but a colored border would really make it look good.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:35 PM

Possibly a duplicate suggestion, have NOT read all four pages.

Just my take:
Her hair is blond and goes fine with the butter yellow (she is so adorable!). Audition the center dancer panel next to the yellow dot as a border, then next border is your boldest brightest pink.

You have 14 pinwheels (love em BTW-too cute) You could leave them as a border like you have them, OR...

move them farther away from the ballerina, use them as a border, i.e. 2 strips of 7 up and down the sides only, or across the top & bottom only.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:01 PM

I would take the magenta you have and create an oval mat to frame the dancer then cover your cut edge with yellow rick rac then take out the orange and red pinwheels. Make some more from your pinks and yellows maybe throw in a few plain blocks so that it isn't quit so busy. Looking good I really like your dancer.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:06 PM

try black as a border by the white with other colour as well. It will frame the ballerina as if she is in a picture frame.
the ballerina is beautiful