Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
back to square one with machine purchase >

back to square one with machine purchase

back to square one with machine purchase

Old 01-21-2012, 06:45 PM

The Bernina 330, 350, and 380 might be possibilities.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:49 PM

I do agree with ncredbird about the older machines, but if you HAVE to have a new machine, I would check out some dealers, that might have higher end trade-ins that normally would be over your budget. I paid $ 990 for my big Elna, I absolutely love it, It has l knee-lift, needle up/down option, auto thread cutter option, comes with several extra feet that other machines make you pay extra for, and a larger than normal throat.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:55 PM

What is wrong with the bernina you have? Is it a computer machine or a mechanical?

I love my 15-91.... i am glad that has already been mentioned. If i had to buy new or higher end used a mechanical bernina would be my choice. I am sorry the dealer annoyed you. Can you just call them and ask about the availibillity of a new/used mechanical bernina? Over the phone, the dealer will have much less info to work with an no "captive audience". I doubt the upsell would be atempted, but if it is you just repeat your question.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 PM

Last year I bought a Janome 6300. It's similar to the 6600 but without the built in walking foot and the push button sewing. It has the wide throat and is a nice running machine. It was right around $1,000
Old 01-21-2012, 07:21 PM

Love my Vikings, I have two and a serger. No problems with either of them for 20+ yrs. All price ranges and you can get a very nice one for under 1000.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:38 PM

If you have a Bernina then you may not be happy with any other brand of sewing machine. This is just my opinion. I have a Bernina. Also have a Janome, a Pfaff, a Juki, a Brother and a White. Bernina is hard to beat.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:49 PM

I have an old Bernina I picked up cheap at a garage sale. Hardly used. I also have an old Memory Craft 4000 which is a low end Janome which I love. Honestly I believe the Bernina is the better machine but I am used to my MC 4000 and have all the feet. Bernina feet can make you go broke! My advice (since you already have all the feet) is to find a used Bernina and then pay to have it tuned up immediately. Most people forget to service their machines and it will likely service you for a long time.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:00 PM

Today, our Quilt Guild had a sewing day. One of the members there showed me her new machine she just got. It was a Babylock Elizabeth. I asked her if that was a new one in the Babylock line--as I hadn't heard of that one. She said it was a lower priced machine of Babylock and she likes it because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles and she didn't want to spend alot. She said she really likes it. I know she is very economical so I'm sure she did not pay any where close to $1000 for it--but I do not know what she paid for it. Might be worth checking in to the Babylock machines. My sister in law has one and loves it.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 AM

My Sapphire is a keeper. It has every thing I need and more. It has a 10 in throat and needle down, both are necessities for me. I love the auto foot lift especialy when using needle down since it pops us just a little so you can turn your fabric.
I also have a Baby Lock Jane on a frame for quilting. Dont like this primitive machine but had to have a strait stitch in order to get a stitch regulator. Am saving up for a long arm since this machine is just not easy to use on a frame. It is the same as a Brother 1500.
If this is to be your first machine I would recommend a cheap Brother with needle down function and as big of a throat as you can afford. Later you can upgrade but always have this machine as a backup.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 AM

Why not a different Janome. They're built well for the money. You don't need to buy the most expensive.