Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: backing question

Blog Entries
    I am a newbie and doing my first lap quilt. When doing backing, how should u sew two pieces together to have enough for the whole back. Do u just sew a seam down the middle? Will that add too much stress?

Hi Mona, there is a teaching about backings by John Flynn that should be helpful for you.

http://flynnquilt.com/media/uploads/...onalpb1103.pdf

Pam M

Quilt Backing Info by John Flynn

Blog Entries
    Thank you, I will check it out and see if I can do it! Wish me luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mona202
    Thank you, I will check it out and see if I can do it! Wish me luck.
    I checked it out but it shows more how to figure out how much you need and I was looking more for HOW to do the backing. Do I sew just one seam down the middle or should I cut it in thirds and have two seams down the back? I have the quilt top laid out on the floor on top of the backing fabric and I have enough with 1 inch borders around it. What do you do or how do you do it?

Blog Entries
    There are many ways to do the back. I've pieced down the middle with great results...no issues with stress on the seam. Usually I will add blocks or a section with a contrasting fabric and stretch my backing fabric, which is great if you're a little short. Some people put a seam down both sides of the selvedge, then cut one piece in the middle. This gives a fabric's width in the center and 2 narrow strips on either side.

I've looked into the diagonal method before and it required more thinking than I wanted to do. ;)

They say to avoid sewing a seam down the middle. I like to use a center piece with borders for the backing. Or, you can do the 3 panel method with wider in middle & narrow on either side.

Blog Entries
    The traditional method is to use two lengths (fabric the length of the quilt). Split one in half lengthwise, then sew a half to each side of the uncut length. This results in the back having two seams. Traditionally a single seam down the middle has been avoided.

The Flynn method shows how to achieve a similar result with less than 2 lengths of fabric (saves on fabric cost). To be honest, I just can't seem to stay with his explanation long enough to actually use it.

rb.
    John Flynn's method is most advantageous for someone quilting on a frame, where you don't want the added bulk of a seam rolling on in the same place, causing a loss of space.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all. You gave me just what I needed.

I like the three panel method myself, but lately I've been piecing the back with alot of smaller leftover pieces from the front. It makes it more interesting, I think.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast