Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Backing of a Quilt

This maybe a silly question, but looking at alot of quilts I see that the backing is plain with maybe on section of fabric from the of the quilt. Is there a reason for this or is this a new fad? I have always used just a plain backing and I am just curious!

I do plain backings also, but unless you purchase extra wide fabric, it must be pieced. Many folks use this as an opportunity to show some artistic style on the back. I think they look great and maybe someday will make one that way too.

I try to stretch whatever I have on hand rather than buy more fabric for the backing. Sometimes that means I use some leftover fabric or blocks from the front to get enough yardage for the backing.

Blog Entries
    I usually do a plain or one fabric back but the last quilt I did I mis measured and had to piece it. So I got creative, I like the out come.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

According to my quilt class instructor, a quilt entered in a contest such as at the fair, should have all on fabric on the back. It can be pieced because it isn't wide enough but all the same, and not seamed down the middle.

i prefer hand dyed wide back fabric.

this way the top of the quilt looks like a pieced quilt and the back looks like a whole cloth quilt.

i also use many colored threads when i quilt so the whole cloth side looks really nice with each design in a different color thread.

Banned
    Granny Quilter: I disagree with your quilt class instructor. I'm a judge and I don't judge the back other than if pieced it is well done and not crooked. I don't know everything, but I don't know of a single show that had criteria for the back. Some recent quilters do very fancy stuff on the back but that is irrevelent to the top.
    So I think your quilt class instructor is giving a personal opinion. Perhaps there are local fairs that require this but not in my 100's of judging experience. We look at the back to see if the back stitching is well done and may say "how clever to piece the back" but that's it.

Blog Entries
    I use a print or coordinating fabric for the back of a lap quilt because both sides are often showing. For a bed quilt or wall hanging, I will use anything I think will last as long as the quilt. Plain colored or even white is fine.

Blog Entries
    Ive seen many creative backings. We call it back art!

It is fun to see some creative piecing on the backs of quilts! No rules (only in this instance) just right! :-)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast