Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basic maintenance for Janome 6600 >

Basic maintenance for Janome 6600

Basic maintenance for Janome 6600

Old 11-12-2011, 03:32 AM

when i bought my janome 11000se my dealer said to put 1 drop of sewing machine oil under bobbin case once a month and that would help when he does maintance which i`ve never yet had to do. its 2 yrs old
Gale
Old 11-12-2011, 06:44 AM

Thanks so much everyone! This machine is part of my "therapy program"....LOL. As long as I can sew and quilt, I am happy. Take away my machine and somebody is gonna get hurt!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:21 PM

Default oiling machine

Originally Posted by wvdek View Post
When I purchased my Janome, the dealer told me NOT to oil my machine. He said for the newer computerized ones, it was not necessary and that it could actually gunk it up. However, because I live 2 hours from him, he did show me where I could oil if it really needed it. I have had the machine about 4 years and have never oiled it, I clean it often (especially the bobbin area), change my needle with almost every new project. Still have not had to have it serviced. I did have to replace the bobbin holder after a thread nest caught the spring and broke it. Otherwise, I have not even had it serviced. Still runs smooth as long as I follow my manual and not what I want to do.
That said, if your machine has been stored in a dry place, it could be more dry than usual. I would contact a dealer or go on Janomes website. Contact a professional who deals with it daily. Too expensive a machine to be messing it up.
The last time I took my machine in for a yearly tune up, I caught heck from the dealer, because I had not been putting oil on the little white wick in the bobbin case. She told me to not let it dry out, because that hurts the machine. I was told that if it is very white, it needs oil, just one drop. If it looks a bit off white, then it is not in need of oil. I didn't know that before. The book doesn't say to oil it. So she let up on scolding me and just reminded me once again to watch for the need to do the oiling. I hope that helps everyone. I find that my 6600p runs a bit more quietly, when it is oiled from time to time.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 PM

My 6600 started clanking and squeaking which prompted me to come crying to the QB. I was told in no uncertain terms, especially by one who PM'd me, lol, that my machine needed to be oiled and pronto! Went to WalMart, the closest place to me and bought Singer sewing machine oil. I ended up having to put 3 drops of oil in there. It was dry as a bone. Since then, it's purring right along. It's time for the yearly maintenance, but I have soooo many projects going and just don't have time to get it done right now.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 PM

I oil my 6600 on that little wick whenever I clean out the lint. I just bought some generic machine oil at Joanns. It was a couple dollars and I've had it for a few years and it's still pretty full.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
I oil my 6600 on that little wick whenever I clean out the lint. I just bought some generic machine oil at Joanns. It was a couple dollars and I've had it for a few years and it's still pretty full.
Ditto this.

I do take my machine apart from the bottom every 8 to 12 months and clean out the lint and oil and grease the spots that need it. Your sewing machine dealer is going to tell you not to do that but my husband is electronics maintenance man and I routinely pop open $100K instruments in the lab and repair them. So, I risk it. It did make me nervous initially but with the cost of a service call and two trips to the shop (one to drop off and one to pick up) I figured it takes me 4 years to break even. At this point if I kill it I am actually money ahead.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM

I have a Janome 4800, and put a drop of oil under the bobbin case on the wick every time I clean it. My machine is about 10 years old and still acts like a new machine. I bought my oil at the LQS where I bought the machine. I think the bottle is going to last 2-3 lifetimes. It was very inexpensive.
Sue
Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
Ditto this.

I do take my machine apart from the bottom every 8 to 12 monthyoj!nd clean out the lint and oil and grease the spots that need it. Your sewing machine dealer is going to tell you not to do that but my husband is electronics maintenance man and I routinely pop open $100K instruments in the lab and repair them. So, I risk it. It did make me nervous initially but with the cost of a service call and two trips to the shop (one to drop off and one to pick up) I figured it takes me 4 years to break even. At this point if I kill it I am actually money ahead.
Is your machine the 6600? Would you mind telling me how you take it apart from the bottom ? Thank you!