Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Basting with glue

I don't know about the rest of you but when I was in grade school (called elementary back then!) we used LePage's glue. It was golden color and was dispensed out of a rubber top with a slit in it. Elmer's didn't come out until later.
    Proud grandma of Coast Guard grandson and Air Force granddaughter!

I still pin baste my quilts. I do it on my glass topped dining table and I make larger quilts and I have to move them to different sections to get them all pinned. I don't think the glue basting would work very well with my set up.
    I do think glue basting would work well for matching intersections when sewing long rows to each other. I could see right away that they are matchine up as they should. I will try it. Thanks for all the helpful hints.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you but when I was in grade school (called elementary back then!) we used LePage's glue. It was golden color and was dispensed out of a rubber top with a slit in it. Elmer's didn't come out until later.
    I remember that stuff! It was rubber cement and cleaned up pretty easily because, after it was dry, you could rub it off into a small ball.

Blog Entries
    Gals-- I think we're really dating ourselves with our memories! If I'm remembering correctly, the "glue" in the bottle with the rubber thingy on top was called mucilage, wasn't it?
    Sue

Blog Entries
    You're right. It was mucilage -- actually gum arabic, not rubber cement. I finally thought to Google it.
    http://www.thecakelady.ca/lepagesglue/mucilage.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
    Gals-- I think we're really dating ourselves with our memories! If I'm remembering correctly, the "glue" in the bottle with the rubber thingy on top was called mucilage, wasn't it?
    Oh yes, I remember that! I would never use it as I always thought it was mucous. YUK, actually mucous might work too - double yuk

I remember that mucilage; it's what we used at home. At school, we had to use messy white paste, in a jar. It usually smelled a bit like wintergreen and always left the pasted item rather lumpy.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Would it be appropriate to use this method of basting on a Christmas tree skirt that I'm working on an don't really want to wash?

Blog Entries
    I, too, just finished the binding on a quilt using Elmer's School Glue for the first time. I followed the youtube post The Binding Angel and it was quite helpful. The only suggstion I have is to use a dry iron which I don't think was mentioned in the video... I learned this quickly when the glue didn't set. I ususally do most of my pressing with steam so I didn't give the iron setting any thought until the glue was still sticky when I took my project to my machine.

I use the archival glue sticks especially when putting together my miniature (as well as pp) projects. This glue doesn't cause the threads to breakdown.
    Attitude is the mind's paintbrush. It colors every situation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast