Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting Spray???? >

Basting Spray????

Basting Spray????

Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 AM

Default Basting Spray????

Ok, I have never used basting spray. Was wondering if it would do what I need and want it to do.....which of course are 2 different things...LOL.

Any ideas, suggestions, pros, cons and etc....will be greatly appreciated.

I plan to top stitch something that will be turned over to the top and then stitched very very close to the edge. Don't know if it will work or not but will try at least one or two small projects this way to see if it works if not I will figure something else out.

Will the basting spray gum up my machine needle??? Will it stick to the table or anywhere else I am spraying if there is an over spray? Does it clean up easy if there is an over spray? Is it a permanent bond or just temporary until stitched in place?

Again, any suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 10:34 AM

I was leary of basting spray at first, thought I wouldn't be able to get the layers sandwiched so they were flat. I tried 505 Spray & Fix fabric basting spray and love it. Much quicker than pins, doesn't seem to gum needle, little odor and keeps layers in place. My only negative is it's expensive, but worth it.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 AM

I had so much trouble with a Christmas quilt I was making for my daughter & asked the QB for help. Spray 505 was recommended by several members & I used it with tons of success. After pinning & repinning twice I was frustrated beyond measure & thanks to the members here, it worked out perfectly. And to those members who think it is too expensive - I don't know what you pay in the U.S. but here in Canada, our local fabricland charges $25.00/can. Now, that's expensive. Absolutely no negatives except of course, the price.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by callen View Post
And to those members who think it is too expensive - I don't know what you pay in the U.S. but here in Canada, our local fabricland charges $25.00/can. Now, that's expensive. Absolutely no negatives except of course, the price.
YIKES!!!! As for using the basting spray, I have a can that I bought about 6 months ago and am yet to use it!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 AM

I use the Dritz brand, purchased at Walmart for $8....remember it only takes a light spray or you will have issues with gumming the needle....it cleans up with alcohol for any overspray....I use a king size flat sheet on my bed for any overspray and it works well....good luck!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 AM

I had concernes about the odor but no one mentioned that as a problem. The only negatives were the price.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 AM

Now I feel very foolish as it turns out I have a can of this. I will play with it later today and see how it goes.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:13 AM

It is the best invention since the rotary cutter!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:32 AM

Yes, it sure is expensive at Fabricland but I pick up a couple cans when they pit it on for half price on the membership sales.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

DH says the 505 seems like one of the adhesives they use at his job. Different name but same company, sold for industrial use. If so he can order it through the company's storeroom much cheaper then retail and he says all Tool and Die warehouses should have it, maybe even Harbor Freight stores. He is bringing me a used can so I can compare.