Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Basting Spray????

Basting Spray????

Ok, I have never used basting spray. Was wondering if it would do what I need and want it to do.....which of course are 2 different things...LOL.

Any ideas, suggestions, pros, cons and etc....will be greatly appreciated.

I plan to top stitch something that will be turned over to the top and then stitched very very close to the edge. Don't know if it will work or not but will try at least one or two small projects this way to see if it works if not I will figure something else out.

Will the basting spray gum up my machine needle??? Will it stick to the table or anywhere else I am spraying if there is an over spray? Does it clean up easy if there is an over spray? Is it a permanent bond or just temporary until stitched in place?

Again, any suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I was leary of basting spray at first, thought I wouldn't be able to get the layers sandwiched so they were flat. I tried 505 Spray & Fix fabric basting spray and love it. Much quicker than pins, doesn't seem to gum needle, little odor and keeps layers in place. My only negative is it's expensive, but worth it.

I had so much trouble with a Christmas quilt I was making for my daughter & asked the QB for help. Spray 505 was recommended by several members & I used it with tons of success. After pinning & repinning twice I was frustrated beyond measure & thanks to the members here, it worked out perfectly. And to those members who think it is too expensive - I don't know what you pay in the U.S. but here in Canada, our local fabricland charges $25.00/can. Now, that's expensive. Absolutely no negatives except of course, the price.
    Dance like no one is watching

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by callen View Post
    And to those members who think it is too expensive - I don't know what you pay in the U.S. but here in Canada, our local fabricland charges $25.00/can. Now, that's expensive. Absolutely no negatives except of course, the price.
    YIKES!!!! As for using the basting spray, I have a can that I bought about 6 months ago and am yet to use it!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I use the Dritz brand, purchased at Walmart for $8....remember it only takes a light spray or you will have issues with gumming the needle....it cleans up with alcohol for any overspray....I use a king size flat sheet on my bed for any overspray and it works well....good luck!

I had concernes about the odor but no one mentioned that as a problem. The only negatives were the price.

Now I feel very foolish as it turns out I have a can of this. I will play with it later today and see how it goes.

It is the best invention since the rotary cutter!

Yes, it sure is expensive at Fabricland but I pick up a couple cans when they pit it on for half price on the membership sales.

Blog Entries
    DH says the 505 seems like one of the adhesives they use at his job. Different name but same company, sold for industrial use. If so he can order it through the company's storeroom much cheaper then retail and he says all Tool and Die warehouses should have it, maybe even Harbor Freight stores. He is bringing me a used can so I can compare.
    Got fabric?

I use it for all my large projects. I love it. I stock pile it when Joanne's has a coupon.

I prefer to take the time to hand-baste my quilts than to inhale those fumes.

I love it. I have used two different brands. The first was a low oder and washed out it seemed to me the new can I have is much more stinky and it seems to take a few washings. Not sure because I have only used it a few times and after the first washing thy went to new homes. I think for what you are doing a glue stick might be better. But that is only for controle. Good luck with your project.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I would test any spray that comes from the hardward store for staining on scrap fabric. Just a suggestion. 505 and Dritz have both been good for me. If more than light spraying with Dritz I did have needle gum up. Yes they are expensive but go a long way. One can Dritz did maybe 15+ quilts/wall hangings

Blog Entries
    For what you are doing, you might find it easier to work with Elmer's washable glue. It would be easier to control around the edges than the spray baste.

In general though, I love spray baste!

I use Sullivan's Quilt Basting Spray. It is temporary & doesn't gum up my needle at all. I love it! I also use school glue for small things. News paper protects from over-spray. I use this method for whole quilts. http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/2566
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Elmer's makes a spray adhesive which is very inexpensive. I haven't tried it on fabric to sew on it.
    Got fabric?

I love the spray basting products, I wear a mask when I spray it though. (I got the kind people use doing lawn work at Home Depot.) It keeps the glue from going in your nose or mouth.

I was leary of it at first. Then I bought a can to use for the large quilted bag I was making for my son's girlfriend. After using it I thought...what was I afraid of. I have Dritz and I don't find much of an odor at all when using it. I don't wear a mask...have them for when I make soaps using lye. I use an old bedsheet to protect wherever I am spraying.

When I made my large round Christmas table topper I also used it. It makes your project go so much quicker than having to stand there pinning the layers together. I finished piecing my table runner yesterday and have my batting and backing fabric cut and ready to spray so I can start the quilting. Oh...on my table topper..the middle circle I placed 4 things that I wanted to do hand applique. The girl at Joann's told me to use the basting spray on them to hold them in place. They were cut out of felt. Used it and it worked perfect for that too.

Blog Entries
    I love it...first time I tried it was actually today and I am amazed at how easy to use and how flat my quilt is laying!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    I use Sullivan's Quilt Basting Spray. It is temporary & doesn't gum up my needle at all. I love it! I also use school glue for small things. News paper protects from over-spray. I use this method for whole quilts. http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/2566
    This quilt show video is good, but there are a few mistakes with this method. She states that she uses 505 basting spray. But it's important to note that she is using 505 incorrectly.

1. She holds the can only 3-4 inches from the fabric surface. (The directions on the can state you should hold the can 10-12 inches from the fabric surface.

2. She states "you WILL get a glob on your needle", in fact she shows you what the glob looks like in the video. The can states you will NOT get a glob on your needle. The reason she gets globs is because she is holding the can so close to the fabric. When you hold the can this close, of course you get a thick, concentrated amount in a small area. This is why she gets globs on her needle. In fact, if you watch in the video, you can see the adhesive turn white on top of the fabric due to how thick she's gunking it on there.

3. She says the sticky "will last up to 5 years". But the can states it is TEMPORARY. The reason she gets 4 to 5 years worth of sticky is because she's spraying a thick, concentrated amount on her fabric. When you spray a ton of adhesive on the fabric it WILL be permanent, not temporary.

I wish they'd do a better job explaining this method. I bet the spray manufactureres grit their teeth if they've seen this video, LOL. My take on it is this: If you want the sticky to last forever, spray the adhesive 3 or 4 inches from the fabric. If you want the spray to be temporary follow the directions on the can.

I've used 505 for the last 12 years, and have used KK2000 and KK100. For me personally, I spray 8-10 inches away from the fabric.
    I find the 505 washes out of the fabric when I'm done. But DO NOT under any circumstances wash fabric that has KK2000 or KK100 on it until it has dissipated. It WILL become permanent, trust me.
    505 will stay around for roughly 2 months, whereas KK2000 and KK100 only lasts a few days.

I use 505 for quilting and KK2000 and KK100 for machine embroidery.
    Last edited by Christine-; 02-10-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    DH says the 505 seems like one of the adhesives they use at his job. Different name but same company, sold for industrial use. If so he can order it through the company's storeroom much cheaper then retail and he says all Tool and Die warehouses should have it, maybe even Harbor Freight stores. He is bringing me a used can so I can compare.
    Be very careful to ensure that it is a "temporary adhesive" and that it can be used for fabrics. 3M makes quite a few different adhesive sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    It is the best invention since the rotary cutter!
    I second that! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
    Arlene

I use basting spray and have never had a problem with the needle gumming up. Basting spray washes out of the fabric when you wash the quilt, and seems to wash off of hard flat surfaces easily.

I don't recommend spraying around your sewing machine. The vapor may penetrate the insides of the machine and gum that up.

I sweep the garage floor, lay out my batting, spray one side, turn it over and spray the other side. It is all done in the garage with the garage door open - has to be a warm, wind-free day. I am supersensitive to odors and stuff that can get into my sinuses, and this minimizes that problem.

I also spray the backs of my cutting rulers with basting spray. At first, it is difficult to reposition fabric under the rulers - a small pain in the butt, but much better than the ruler slipping and fabric getting cut wrong. After a few uses, the basting spray starts to rub off and repositioning fabric is easier, plus the accuracy of my cuts is much improved.

I use 505 spray basting and find that I get a smoother quilt then then when I pin. It is easier and quicker and less heavy than pinning. Cost? I bought a case of 12 large cans from an online site (can not remenber which ) for about $150 for 12 large cans which makes it way cheaper than buying it from Connecting thread. (shipping was free). Connecting thread sell small can of 505 so perhaps you could buy one and try it yourself. Do a search for more info.
    Last edited by bigsister63; 02-11-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast