Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To bat or not to bat, that is the question. >

To bat or not to bat, that is the question.

To bat or not to bat, that is the question.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 PM

Default To bat or not to bat, that is the question.

What do you all recommend with a flannel pre-printed top that was given to me and a minky fabric backing? Would you use a layer of batting or not? I've already read enough to use my walking foot and/or darning foot and my silicone mat while quilting, also to use basting spray to stabilize. I plan to quilt around the lines of the design as well as do some meandering in the background areas. It will be a baby blanket for my daughter's first baby, coming in January. The top is very thin flannel, design is called Giggles and Wiggles by Thimbleberries. Haven't been a member long enough to attach a photo, but it shouldn't matter to get some opinions on batting. Have never sewn on minky, so any other advice will be welcome as well.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:45 PM

First of all, welcome to the QB. I have never used flannel for a top and minky for the backing so can't help you there. However, I would hope that you have washed and dried the flannel at least once to help with the shrinkage that usually happens with flannel.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:53 PM

Hi Kathy,

I am new to quilting as well (and sewing) and haven't used batting yet. My first project was a cotton panel with a fleece backing for my dog. The panel is called Wild Thing!! Figured the dog wouldn't care about my boo boos.

Second project is a baby quilt for my granddaughter. Cotton front, flannel batting and flannel backing. I didn't want the quilt to be thick and heavy but wanted it to be slightly warm. Plus I didn't want to worry about it shifting around as easily as batting will. So if you decide that it won't be warm enough without any batting you might try a light flannel.

Personally, I haven't sewn with minky -- love it though! I've read on the board that minky is difficult to sew. It stretches. So you might want to keep that in mind. Maybe someone here can give you better hints on the minky than I can.

Good luck and Congratulations!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:34 PM

Do an advanced search (top right button of thread). Type in batting with minky. Click search. Maybe some of the threads that come up will help you.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:30 AM
Power Poster

it depends on where baby lives- how warm do you want the quilt to be- I use flannel A LOT! and I back many quilts with minkee---I also use batting- but many people do not use batting- feel that it makes the quilt too heavy, too warm, too lofty...what ever reason they choose to not use- there is no 'right or wrong' here- do it the way you want. batting (in my opinion) does help hold the slippery minkee and flannel together- gives more definition to the quilting on the top and makes for soft/lofty quilts. but it is up to you what you want to use- maybe a thin cotton batting would be nice- just to give that definition & coziness-
Old 07-23-2013, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

here is one previous thread that discusses the same question http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t168869.html
Old 08-03-2013, 05:42 PM

Alrighty then - just found out grandbaby is a boy, due in January. They live in a moderate climate, so I'm going without batting. Sounds like basting spray and my silicone slider will be helpful, have gotten both out and am ready to go. I can't believe i didn't think about pre-shrinking the flannel top - thanks for the reminder. I'm anxious to see how the definition turns out. Daughter wants fabric from her wedding dress for the binding, so will go with a fairly wide piece all around. I was waiting to find out what we're getting to decide on a ruffle edge, but I'll just go with flat for him. No ruffles for Junior! I'll post pictures when it's finished.

Thanks so much for all the helpful comments and suggestions.