Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Gifting and getting rid of old quilts! UNUSUAL and warm reaction!

Blog Entries

Gifting and getting rid of old quilts! UNUSUAL and warm reaction!

So! My sister invites my other sister and I to come enjoy her new beach house for a few days. I had an old quilt that I made of light weight cotton drapery samples and "tried" to learn FMQ on it. This was back when they said to really put the pedal to the medal when doing FMQing! Long time ago! This quilt has tucks all over the back and it has long stitches and short stitches. . . nothing remotely even. . . in the FMQing. It's a mess. ALSO, it's long and more narrow than a bed quilt. So I thought: This mess is PERFECT for laying on the sand. It's been washed lots but still has body. I practiced like mad and this was back when the cotton batts needed to be stitched close. It's probably got twice the stitching that it needs with crossed lines everywhere. People! This is a quilt I would not consider giving to a charity!

I hand the quilt to my sister as we go up to unpack with apologies and "my idea" of this being a sandy beach quilt. Imagine my surprise when it's laid regally over the back of her living room sofa when I get back downstairs. I start to protest but she says it matches everything in here (it does) and we have been looking for a lap robe for down here. It's perfect!

I catalogue this quilt's many shortcomings to her but she doesn't want to hear them. I take the quilt and show her husband what I am talking about, pointing out all the tucks and long stitches but he's on her side. I make him promise to take it and use it on the beach at least once so I'll feel better about seeing that terrible quilt in their beautiful living room overlooking the water.

So here's my sad tale for all of you who have given beautiful quilts (the likes of which I shall never be able to make) to thankless persons. I wish for you all a sister like mine somewhere in your future gifting. It will warm your heart and you won't feel as horrified as I do about sending your "cast off" quilts to a planned utilitarian life that turns into a place of honor instead.
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

You are one lucky lady to have such a wonderful sister and BIL.

Great story Holli. I will share your sister anytime! What a tribute to you that she saw beauty in your quilt and wants to display it in her home.
    Sweet Caroline

What a beautiful story. I'm glad to here your sister loves your quilt.

Blog Entries
    That is a great sister. I often think my family does not appreciate what I do
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

I think your sister and her DH really liked the quilt. Don't be so surprised! It's probably much nicer than you think it is. And the fact that you made it makes it more special to them.

I'm so glad your sister appreciates your quilt, even though it is not one you are proud of. Many quilts that quilters ARE proud of are just packed away and not seen by anyone, yet your least favorite is given a place of honor. You should be proud. Seems you have a wonderful sister (I have 3 of them).

Blog Entries
    My sister really is wonderful and deserving! She is so classy she even sent me a Thank You note for that quilt in the snail mail! She's a keeper!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

What a treasure you have for a sister!
    Sewing right along........Martha

Oh, loved your story!

Blog Entries
    Another person's trash, is someone's treasure. My first attempts at spinning wool were awlful, knubby, snarly, uneven - i put them in a box and put them for $1 at my yard sale before I moved, another spinner/knitter snatched them up and knitted the most beautiful art scarf that I have ever seen.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Just goes to show one man's trash is another's treasure...What a great story! Thank you so much for sharing. Your sister is definitely a keeper : )

How refreshing they respected the love and hours put forth and could set aside the imperfections.

What a great story and a real encouragement to keep making and giving.
    Lisa

love received and returned ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Power Poster
    Sisters are the best! I have made lots of quilts and I am sure the one that will survive is the awful double knit monstrosity that I made over 40 years ago. It is showing no signs of wear when we take it to the cottage each summer.

Oh, my gosh. Your story just got me all teary-eyed! What a wonderful sister...

What a sweet story. Sounds like you have a quilt worthy sister.

Blog Entries
    what a great sister and BIL, such love, so lucky, thats the kind of people we all wish we had to make our quilts for!
    dare to dream

What a lovely story, its such a shame when people do not appreciate what they are given. I mad my grand daughter a quilt for her 18th birthday. I was visiting the house the other day, the quilt was ripped and chewed up in the dog basket!! Guess who will never get another of my precious quilts.
    Janome Atelier 7

Janome 500E.

sweetblondieblueeyes.blogspot.co.uk

You are so blessed to have such a wonderful sister !
    ~Dana~

Lovely story - and shows that others can't see all the "mistakes" we think we've made!

I love your story! I'm making a quilt for my sister and I'm going attempt to do some FMQing. I haven't done much with FMQ, so I know it won't be anywhere close to perfect. I'm sure she won't care, but your experience make me think a little more positively about her quilt. Thanks for sharing!

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!
    Aronel aka Lee

Holli, you just made me cry! What a beautiful story. Makes up for the sadness I felt when reading an earlier post here about the 'Saddest Garage Sale'. Cherish your lovely sister and your 'old' quilt's place of honour in her home.
    Mary B

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast