Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Batting that doesn't break the bank

Batting that doesn't break the bank

I haven't made a bed size quilt before and now on my first go round I'm looking at batting.
    I know 100% cotton batting is the best for quilting and I'm looking for a place with a good deal on a king size batting.

I get mine at Joann's when it is 50% off and I have a coupon for 20% off entire order. It happens a couple of times a year.

I actually like 80/20 as do a lot of quilters.Joann's is the last place I go unless I have a coupon. I don't know why they have to be so expensive. Connecting Threads usually has a good sale pretty often. I compare other sites as well. Look for sales and good shipping.

Do you have a Hobby Lobby, Joanns or Hancocks close? They all often have batting on sale or coupons for 40 or 50% off. Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon on their website.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

connecting threads often have good sales on their battings & if you add a bit of other essentials to your order it's free shipping at $50. or you could take advantage of the sale & pick up 2 or 3 batts...i much prefer the 80/20 batts...been quilting since 1976...& very/very/very seldom use an all cotton batt....there are so many wonderful batts on the market-it's kind of a shame to restrict yourself to one particular one.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Connecting Threads just had a 35% off sale on all Hobbs batting. It may still be on sale. I stocked up for the rest of the year. Always stock up when you find a sale on quilting things you know you will use and need to buy again. I like Hobbs wool and 80/20.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I'm another fan of Hobb's 80/20 from Connecting Threads! I usually get the queen size on sale for $12.99 and stock up to get free shipping. I can occasionally find it at Michael's also and with a coupon, got it for about $11.

I would think about how the quilt will be used and how often it will be laundered before spending big bucks on batting. If the fabric you are using is loosely woven you will have to worry about bearding. If you are machine quilting you will need a walking foot and the kind of batting doesn't really matter except for the bulk you will have to get under the machine. As a handquilter I love the way cotton batting " hands". Unfortuneatly it makes for a heavy quilt to sleep under. Blends or poly are now my first pick for any project.

I also use the 40% off coupon at Hancock's - saves a bunch!!

Power Poster
    I used to buy my Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt with a 50% coupon until my Michael store stopped stocking it. I am going to try the Hobbs 80/20 reg. batt with a 50% coupon and try the Elmer's glue method on my next quilt.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast