Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batting that doesn't break the bank

Batting that doesn't break the bank

I haven't made a bed size quilt before and now on my first go round I'm looking at batting.
    I know 100% cotton batting is the best for quilting and I'm looking for a place with a good deal on a king size batting.

I get mine at Joann's when it is 50% off and I have a coupon for 20% off entire order. It happens a couple of times a year.

I actually like 80/20 as do a lot of quilters.Joann's is the last place I go unless I have a coupon. I don't know why they have to be so expensive. Connecting Threads usually has a good sale pretty often. I compare other sites as well. Look for sales and good shipping.

Do you have a Hobby Lobby, Joanns or Hancocks close? They all often have batting on sale or coupons for 40 or 50% off. Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon on their website.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Blog Entries
    connecting threads often have good sales on their battings & if you add a bit of other essentials to your order it's free shipping at $50. or you could take advantage of the sale & pick up 2 or 3 batts...i much prefer the 80/20 batts...been quilting since 1976...& very/very/very seldom use an all cotton batt....there are so many wonderful batts on the market-it's kind of a shame to restrict yourself to one particular one.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Connecting Threads just had a 35% off sale on all Hobbs batting. It may still be on sale. I stocked up for the rest of the year. Always stock up when you find a sale on quilting things you know you will use and need to buy again. I like Hobbs wool and 80/20.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I'm another fan of Hobb's 80/20 from Connecting Threads! I usually get the queen size on sale for $12.99 and stock up to get free shipping. I can occasionally find it at Michael's also and with a coupon, got it for about $11.

I would think about how the quilt will be used and how often it will be laundered before spending big bucks on batting. If the fabric you are using is loosely woven you will have to worry about bearding. If you are machine quilting you will need a walking foot and the kind of batting doesn't really matter except for the bulk you will have to get under the machine. As a handquilter I love the way cotton batting " hands". Unfortuneatly it makes for a heavy quilt to sleep under. Blends or poly are now my first pick for any project.

I also use the 40% off coupon at Hancock's - saves a bunch!!

Power Poster
    I used to buy my Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt with a 50% coupon until my Michael store stopped stocking it. I am going to try the Hobbs 80/20 reg. batt with a 50% coupon and try the Elmer's glue method on my next quilt.

Hobbs 80/20 is a wonderful batting. The sale at Connecting Threads is a very very good price.

yel
    Blog Entries
    walmart has a 80/20 i kinda like

Blog Entries
    I've used Quilter's Dream -Select. My favorite is Hobb's wool blend. I wonder about the bamboo batting. Has anyone used them and what is the the advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by dorismeadows View Post
    I've used Quilter's Dream -Select. My favorite is Hobb's wool blend. I wonder about the bamboo batting. Has anyone used them and what is the the advantage?
    I quilted with the bamboo and cotton this week and I liked it. It was on clearence at Joann's last week.

Cotton is just a choice. I usually use warm and natural as a go to batt, but I have used a low loft poly that was a very good choice. It was about half the price of the W&N. I am considering buying a whole roll.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rosalynd View Post
    I haven't made a bed size quilt before and now on my first go round I'm looking at batting.
    I know 100% cotton batting is the best for quilting and I'm looking for a place with a good deal on a king size batting.
    Keepsake quilting!

Z
    Walmart on line has some good prices on various types when you buy 4.

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar
    This place sells it on rolls - enough for a lot of quilts!

http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/quil...ls/cat_46.html

Banned
    I go to Joanns. I never buy anything pricey without a coupon.

Connecting Threads and 80/20. I agree.

In the olden days when I could hand quilt I used Fairfield 80/20. It's like quilting through air. But then my cat decided is was better than salmon, which eventually ended up with a trip to the vet for x-rays--no batting inside her but a good 6" had been licked off my quilt. Then the other cat to the vet...she was clean too... (Lord only knows...). So that was the end of that.

I switched to Hobbs Heirloom, did one Hobbs black, which was hard to quilt through, and my other cat adored and pulled tufts up (like bearding) through the top.

Now I have to have everything to the LA'er and I use Warm and Natural or Warm and White. It is a little stiff. But Joann always has it 50% off or on a coupon and then 20% on the other coupon, and you can buy it off the bolt or in a package. Every penny counts when you're trying to live on Soc Sec. And Warm is a local company.

My favorites are silk and wool. However, It has to be a really special quilt for me to splurge for those batts and I really look for special prices. However, for most quilts I use Hobbs 80/20 which I usually get at Hobby Lobby for 40% off. One significant advantage for using the same batting all the time allows me to join pieces when I need a slightly larger size. By so doing I am assured that when washed all areas will shrink uniformly. If you join different batting pieces or even different brands the shrinkage pattern will be obvious on the front. When I store my batting scraps I always make a straight cut on one edge-intended for joining- and measure the piece BEFORE FOLDING AND STORING. I am surprised at how many of my scraps I am able to use. After all, you pay the same amount per square inch for the batting scraps as you do for the part you use in your quilt.

Have you been to Marshall's Dry Goods? They are in Batesville Arkansas.
    http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/index.php

I did not see on their website if they sold batting by the yard, but you can contact them and see if they will in the store. If you have not been in there, you are in for a treat. Much better prices than their website and their website has great prices.

All y'all are enablers... I just bought two wool battings from Connecting Threads because of this thread... at a GREAT price!

I don't think cotton batting is your best bet. It has to be quilted with lines or design very closely together or you will get little cotton balls after a few washings. If you are quilting for heavy use I think a polyester batt or warm and natural is much better. JMHO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast