Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batting issue

I was wondering if there is a way to smooth batting before it is put in the "quilt sandwich." I am trying to put together the three layers of a quilt but the batting is kinda bunched or rippled in the middle of the quilt and no matter how much I hand smooth it the bulk will not smooth. Any suggestions short of using an iron on it. It's a lightweight polyester batting that came rolled in a bag. Thanks for any help.
    Tammy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by valsma
    I was wondering if there is a way to smooth batting before it is put in the "quilt sandwich." I am trying to put together the three layers of a quilt but the batting is kinda bunched or rippled in the middle of the quilt and no matter how much I hand smooth it the bulk will no smooth. Any suggestions short of using an iron on it. It's a lightweight polyester batting that came rolled in a bag. Thanks for any help.
    Tammy
    I seen or read something somewhere where she/he ironed the batting, but I can't remember what kind of batting it was..hope you find your answer...

Quote Originally Posted by valsma
    I was wondering if there is a way to smooth batting before it is put in the "quilt sandwich." I am trying to put together the three layers of a quilt but the batting is kinda bunched or rippled in the middle of the quilt and no matter how much I hand smooth it the bulk will not smooth. Any suggestions short of using an iron on it. It's a lightweight polyester batting that came rolled in a bag. Thanks for any help.
    Tammy
    Take you batting out of the package and let it rest a while you can also put it in your dryer on air if you have that .

Blog Entries
    If you iron it use a cool iron. Don't want it to melt.

I put it in the dryer before making the sandwich, and iron the sandwich before pinning and as I quilt. Helps to keep the layers from shifting.

With it being poly ... the iron will melt it!

Open it up and let it air out .... lay flat overnight (on a bed? table? floor?). With some time it'll just poof back up.

I put batting in the dryer on low heat with a wet washcloth for 20 minutes then take it out immediately when the dryer stops.

Can you hang it over a banister or something, spritz with a little water and smooth with your hands? I'd leave it to air dry then, which should help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by auntmag
    I put batting in the dryer on low heat with a wet washcloth for 20 minutes then take it out immediately when the dryer stops.
    This is what I do too, but I usually use cotton batting.

I put some in the dryer recently, and it increased the loft of the batting. I didnt like it, and started over with new batting.

Didn't I read a tip on the board recently to use a hair dryer on low heat? I was going to try that next time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast