Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting or NO Batting? >

Batting or NO Batting?

Batting or NO Batting?

Old 07-19-2014, 07:27 PM

I like to use a fleece. like the fusible fleece, but not the fusible. if that makes sense. the quilting shows up really well, and has a stiffer body, but not like board stiff.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:08 PM

I like them with batting, I like how it looks quilted and nice.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:51 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for your comments.

I dont know how to quilt anything but STID so that isn't really an issue for me. I wouldn't have any pretty quilting to show off.

As for it hanging well that is a consideration for me.

I have made lots of small stuff without batting so I know it can be done and made to look good. But if it is the best way to go is still a question for me.

I will have to experiment and see what I think.

I won't ever make large wall hangings. My wall hangings are in the 12" to 16" range. so not a lot of weight to deal with anyway.

It is interesting to see what everyone thinks. I am going to use one thin layer of batting for the Doll quilt I am working on but am considering trying one with out batting just to see.

I learn best by trial and error. If this is an error then I will redo it!! LOL
Old 07-20-2014, 02:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
IMHO batting is desirable. Just the added body should enhance the design, quilting. . . . .
this was my first thought about it too. i love the look of the puffed out design. i don't think i'd buy one without batting.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Hi Rhonda !! I think as many of the others do. I use Hobbs 20/80 and find it sort of fills out the quilt as well as displays the quilting. It just might drape like a piece of fabric without batting.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:41 AM

What a great description ghostrider. You put everything I thought, but didn't know I thought, into that second paragraph.
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
My work is almost entirely wall quilts at this point and I would strongly recommend using batting no matter what the size of the finished piece. Something on the firm side like Warm & Natural works well or W&N topped with wool for more detail in the quilting lines. 'Drape' is not a desired trait in this case.

Without batting, the quilting has little or no definition, the quilt itself is saggy, and the overall effect is 'blah', looking more like laundry tacked to the wall. Batting gives wall quilts 'presence' and invites the viewer in closer to look at the details.

ETA: Would I buy one without batting? No, that would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:07 AM

I made one quilt without batting because I was backing it with flannel and have regretted it ever since. It's too flat looking. There is no dimension to the quilting.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I'm working on a couple of wall hangings and wondered if I need to use batting or just back it and quilt it down.

I usually use one thin layer of batting. So I'm wondering is it necessary? Will the WH not hang straight if it doesn't have that added weight in it?

Is it a matter of how it looks without batting or is it just a habit to put the batting in?

I just don't know if I should try it without batting or go with the flow and use the batting.
I know it's a subjective thing and most would say do whatever you want to.

I'd like your opinion as to would you do it without batting? Would you buy one that didn't have batting in it?

I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks! Rhonda
I wouldn't like one without batting of some sort. I have used that fleece (flat) batting and it looks okay. I think I will try one with regular batting to see if it has more dimension. I think that might look better. Your own taste.