Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting question >

batting question

batting question

Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 AM

I use Warm & Natural or Warm & White. But I'm planning on trying wool soon... I just have a TON of applique to finish first.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM

Thanks for all your help..The bamboo batting sounds interesting..would it be good in the premiee blankets or should I just use flannel in between?
Thanks for all you help!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:42 PM

I use hobbs 80/20 I ordered my last roll from Marshall Dry Goods great price 30 yard roll of 96" was 92.00 plus 15.00 shipping... I really like it... grace
Old 01-14-2009, 02:44 PM

I just got an e-mail about a new Quilter's Dream Batting:

DREAM ORIENT
A Luxurious Blend of Bamboo, Silk, Cotton, and Botanic Tencel®
A dreamy batting made from a blend of natural, environmentally friendly fibers, producing a unique batting that is luxurious and truly exquisite. The blending of Bamboo, Silk, Cotton, and Botanic Tencel® brings together the most desirable qualities of softness, durability, warmth, and breathability making Dream Orient a batting beyond compare.

It's not ready yet, but I should be getting a sample when it's ready. I'll let you know!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:55 PM

I used to use W & N all the time but have been using more Quilter's Dream recently. Both are great. I only used a poly batt one time-on my first ever quilt in 1982---it was horrible and I would never do it again and would never recommend it to anyone.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
The bolt I got last week is my 4th! Neighbors don't notice, but friends do. They all call me if they need batting in an emergency. I also tend to just give some of it to friends that I know can't really afford to go out and buy some right then. I have another friend that can't afford to buy fabrics or batting and I just keep giving her stuff to work with. I like being able to help out my friends when I can! They even sometimes come to my house looking for that perfect fabric they can't find elsewhere. Especially if they are in the middle of a project and they need something right away.
Gayle, you sound like a really sweet friend. I like to share my stash with my friends too. Heaven knows, I will never be able to use all this fabric before I die-I might as well let someone use it!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 PM

If you want to get the antique "crinkly" look, use a cotton batting. For machine quilting I use Quilters Dream Cotton Batting Request or Select loft. Quilt it up bind it and wash/dry and it has a wonderful look. I have never hand quilted with this.

For hand quilting Dierdra McElroy recommends Mountain Mist Quilt Light batting. It is polyester and probably won't shrink.

Hope this helps, Kanoelani
Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by diannemc
What is the bst batting? I know nothing about it..I like the old quilt look..Where is the best place to buy on line??
Also I am going to do some premiee quilts for the hospital...these don't need to be thick..is there a thin batting out there? Thanks
If you like the old quilt look, I would use traditional 100% cotton batting. One reason many people don't use it anymore is that it must be quilted much more closely than newer types of bat -- every 2 inches at least.

Years ago I made two children's quilts -- one from traditional cotton batting and one from a polyester batting. The cotton was thin; the polyester was fluffy. It happened that years later I visited the children's house and saw the quilts. They had clearly both gotten tons of use, and the mother had tossed them in the washer and dryer many times. The cotton batting quilt was very soft and had that well-loved old-time look, despite some fading of the fabric and very worn out binding. The one with polyester batting was lumpy and did not have any of that old-timey look. I have prefered cotton batts ever since. (80% cotton 20% polyester delivers much the same look with some advantages, but I still like 100% cotton for that old-time look!)

I haven't quilted with it lately so maybe it has changed, but I found that Warm and Natural batting, even though it is 100% cotton, does not give that old-timey look. It is needle-punched through a scrim, and this gives it a very different drape and a much stiffer look. I don't think it gets really soft either, the way the traditional 100% batting did. I also don't think it shrinks as much as the 100% batting. Much of that old-timey look is due to the shrinkage of the batting after the quilt is washed, causing a slightly "crinkly" look.

If you can quilt it closely enough, I'd say go with 100% cotton batting if you can find it. I can't remember offhand the brand I used, but it said Blue Ribbon on it. I had heard that Fairfield had a similar batting, but I never used it.

Polyester battings are fluffier and more reminiscent of the comforters we have become used to these days. Traditional 100% cotton batts are thin. It is washing that makes traditional quilts soft and crinkled.

Batts are very much a matter of personal taste. I prefer traditional 100% cotton or 80/20 for quilts that will get used a lot, polyester or warm and natural for wall hangings depending on the look I want.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:46 AM

This has been so helpful. Glad to that the cotton looks like the older quilts.. thanks...