Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Batting scraps

I have joined batting pieces together by using the fusible tape made especially for batting as well as zigzagging on the DSM. Sometimes the joined pieces don't always lay flat. If I am in the mood, I have used the flatlocking feature on my serger....it does a great job of joining the pieces and they lay nice and flat.

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar
    Thanks, all! No wasted batting for me!

Ugh, I have so so much leftover batting. I did use leftover pieces once for a practice quilt. I used a zigzag stitch and it worked out fine. What I really need to work on is my patience. It seemed like I spent a lot of time sewing just to get the batting ready.

Maybe 2013 can be the year I use up old batting pieces as well as quilt from my stash more.

I too use leftover batting. Whip stitching is the fastest for me. And once it's all quilted, I can't tell where the seams are.

Also, the leftovers are good for making stuffed animals, etc.

I use poly batting and have pieced pieces together to make whole battings. I use a ladder stitch and noone is the wiser.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I buy fusible interfacing by the yard, cut strips 2 or 2 1/2 inches wide and butt the straight sides of the batting together and press the strip on.. It is a good idea to use a press cloth and steam when fusing. I use one of my DHs handkerchiefs for a press cloth.

I do not bother with the tape, just zig zag stitch.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    I fuse mine together all the time. I use the roll of stuff that feels like lite weight fabric. Once it's quilted,no one can tell the diff. It's a good way to use up all the batting scraps. I don,t put it on the ironing board,I just touch the iron for a second while the sandwich is on my (protected) table.

I happen to have lots of iron on fusible interfacing. It's a light weight one. I cut it into long strips and use that to bond my pieces together. Works just fine.

I bought the tape and I've whip-stitched batt pieces together, but I think I'm the laziest person on the planet. If I butt the edges carefully and pin (or tag-baste) very well along both edges, I can just quilt the pieces in place.

If you have really small pieces, you can iron it to lightweight fusible interfacing, crazy-quilt style.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast