Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting >

Batting

Batting

Old 03-06-2011, 01:06 AM

warm and natural is my favourite. I ordered some washable wool, Hobbs I think. I have never used before so will see how it holds up.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:18 AM

Warm and Natural ( this is the ''off white'' version ) or Warm and White ( this is the true white version ). Buy it at JoAnns when they are having a sale. It comes pre packaged in bags or you can buy it off the big roll by the yard or, do as most of us do, and buy the entire box!! The 40 % off sale makes it very econimal and a full box will last a l-o-n-g time!! I store mine in the guest shower...out of the way until needed!!

jodi
Old 03-06-2011, 03:21 AM

Forgot to say, the Warm and Natural is easy to quilt. washes and drys beautifuly and leaves your quilts with that old time wrinkly look!! Give it a try, you'll like it.....a LOT!!

jodi
Old 03-06-2011, 03:39 AM

I like Warn and Bright from Joann's...on sale of course
Old 03-06-2011, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

time to start a little (batting journal)
there are many different batts of the market, from all sorts of materials, they have different properties, different loft's, washing and quilting recommendations vary widely also. you should always read the packaging before purchasing a batt;; some need to be quilted ever 2" (very dense quilting) some you have up to 10" between needed quilting lines. you should try different batts and see what works best for you and the type of quilts you make. when i try a new batt i have not used before i cut a 4"x6" (swatch) of the batting; it is placed in a notebook with the name of the batt; the fiber content, quilting recommendations, laundering recommendations, price and where i bought it...and sometimes what i use it for. then after i use it i can add if i like it (why or why not) how it quilted, anything else about it i want to remember. that way if i run across that one again i will know if i like it or not and why.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:08 AM

i'm not as organized or thorough as ckcrowl...You go girl!!

I am another warm & natural person.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 AM

I like Hobbs 80/20. Hobby Lobby has queen size for $19.99 and you can use 40% off coupon that makes it reasonable. You can print coupons on-line but only use one at time and 1 per day.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:56 AM

It depends, what do you want from your batting? What sort of use will the quilt get? Is it a baby quilt, a bed quilt, a wall hanging? Are you hand-quilting or machine-quilting? Will the quilt need to be washed a lot? Do you want a batting that will shrink after washing? Do you want a puffy batting or a thin, low-loft one? A lot of people love Warm and Natural, for instance, but I don't use it because there are better battings for hand-quilting and I don't want any shrinkage. It really is a personal thing.