Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Batting? Whats your favorite?

I used Mountain Mist Cream Rose for my first quilt, and I don't love it. It was difficult to work with because it pulled apart when I tried to spread it tight (imagine pizza dough pulled too thin; this batting got similar thin spots while I was trying to sandwich it). It also ripped really easily, and though it claims to be preshrunk I've since read that it actually shrinks fairly dramatically. The finished quilt looks nice now, but is thin enough that when I hold it up, I can see the bright fabrics on the front through the back. I'll use a thicker batting for my next project.

My favorite is Hobbs Heirloom 80/20. I also like all of the Quilter's Dream battings. I don't like Warm and Natural. It's hard flat, it has no resilience or loft and doesn't give your quilting any definition, and if you quilt it at all close about stiff as a board.

The thinnest Quilter's Dream is also thin and fairly flat but it's not stiff when quilted fairly close.

I only use Warm and Natural or Warm and White.

I use Warm and White and like it because you don't have to do heavy quilting. It is thin so really isn't a quilt for lots of warmth (which I like most of the time). I also like the crinkle look that Warm and White gives when washed, reminds me of my Grandma's quilts. For warm quilts I use wool and it's great but too expensive for everything.

Really like Quilters dream.

Blog Entries
    I always use Hobbs 80/20. I buy it wholesale from Marshall's Drygoods in Arkansas. I love it for FMQing.

We have used (in order of preference) Quilter's Dream, Warm & Natural, and Hobbs. We like the weight and drape of the QD. We have purchased some bamboo/cotton blend, but haven't tried it yet. I really want to try wool.

Darren

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by AFQSinc View Post
    My favorite batting is either Hobbs wool or Quilters Dream wool. Both are machine washable, warm, drape and define the stitches beautifully.
    AMEN! It truly does all these things.
    I LOVE wool batting and wish I could afford to use it in all my quilts.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Hobbs Tuscany Wool is my favorite batting. Have not used Quilters Dream Wool, but it has been recommended. Wool will give some definition in your quilting and provides a nice drape. Fairfield Soft Touch is a nice cotton that drapes well and gives an antique look. I am a hand quilter and do not like Warm and Natural or poly battings. I find Warm and Natural hard to needle and poly pills and is stiff.

Wool batting for my family, especially for flannel quilts; Warm'n'White or Warm'n'Natural for everyday and charity quilts. I have tried 80/20 batting and I like it,too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast